Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TZH daubs, making droplets

Posted by fantom 
TZH daubs, making droplets
November 08, 2012 05:39AM
TZ Huxley is making inappropriate droplets, see photo. Where can I look for a solution to this.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0435.JPG (285.4 KB)
Re: TZH daubs, making droplets
November 08, 2012 06:58AM
Do you have another filament to try with ? Hard to see something on that picture due to the translucence of the plastic.

Anyway, blobs and strings can usually be fixed by :

- Verifying extruder steps per mm calibration. If your extruder pushes too much plastic, it could end up into blobs. You can do that by sending a 10cm extrusion command - use your usual temperature and an extrusion speed similar to what happens during prints, like say 30 mm/min - and verifying the length of filament actually consumed (marking the filament before the test can help).

- Tinkering with the extrusion temperature : too high means plastic drops more. Ideally you would determine the appropriate temperature by manually pushing the filament into the hotend, and reduce temperature 10°C at a time. When it starts to feel harder to push through the hotend, stop and get back to the last working temperature. Note that this can change when you swap filaments providers and/or colors !

- If the blobs seems to happen during non printing moves, playing with retraction settings. What slicer software are you using by the way ?

- Moving faster during non-printing moves. The faster your X/Y axis can go without skipping steps, the less time the plastic have to drop.

and maybe a lot of other settings, which will depend on your machine and tool chain.

Edit : after looking more precisely at your picture in full resolution, I'd bet that the temperature being too high is probably the bigger culprit. I noticed translucent PLA often need less heat than colored ones. What temperature are you using currently ? Where is that PLA from ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2012 07:02AM by DeuxVis.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
Re: TZH daubs, making droplets
November 11, 2012 04:54PM
Thank you for your many questions.
The extruder is calibrated.
I am using PLA from RepRap-central and have now tested various temperatures. It works best from 200 - 210 degrees C.
I am using Slic3r and it turned out that the retraction was the solution. It has to be 4!!!
Now that parameter is fine.
Thank you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login