Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hot End Advice: J-nozzle or MakerGear?

Posted by AndyP 
Hot End Advice: J-nozzle or MakerGear?
December 20, 2011 11:45PM
I need a new hot end and am wondering what people think of their J-nozzles? I currently have a 0.35mm MakerGear hot end for 1.75mm filament and have been happy with it, but I think I damaged it as it is touchy now. I want a backup hot end and am trying to decide between another MakerGear or the J-nozzle. Any advice in terms of reliability, ease of changing nozzle sizes, etc..?

-Andy P.
Re: Hot End Advice: J-nozzle or MakerGear?
December 21, 2011 02:18AM
I'd check out your extruder and/or hobbed bolt before you blame the hotend and nozzle. Also, I've had problems where not enough heat was leading to slippage and inconsistent feed. Then I had to clean out the teeth on the hobbling, as they were filled with plastic.

Also, if you set your hotend on a low heat (around 80c), you should be able to pull out the filament in a mostly solid state - which will extract any possible nozzle contaminants with it. Chop off that end and re-insert This fixed a previously consistent problem I was having with the Huxley.

I have a 1.75mm makergear with .5mm nozzle if you'd like to use it for elimination troubleshooting.
December 22, 2011 01:27PM
I took the extruder out and fed it to the hotend by hand. Sometimes it was really easy to feed in by hand and other times it required alot of force. I took the insulation off the hot end and found this (image attached). I emailed the image to Rick Pollack of Makergear after talking to him on the makergear IRC (awesome support by Rick) and he is going to let me know if I can salvage it. My guess is no. I'll probably order another MakerGear hot end with Christmas money smiling smiley. I've been happy with my 0.35mm nozzle and will probably get a 0.5mm nozzle for faster printing, although I don't like the idea of trying to calibrate skeinforge for two different nozzles.
Attachments:
open | download - leaking_hotend.jpg (123 KB)
December 22, 2011 10:45PM
AndyP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't like the idea of trying to calibrate
> skeinforge for two different nozzles.

Just wanted to add: working with multiple profiles is quite easy with skeinforge. I have one for ABS, one for PLA at 80mm/s, PLA at 40mm/s, etc ,etc.

Was even starting to get to the point of using one profile per color of filament, until I realized that the Temperature module was actually doing nothing for my configuration (have yet to look into why).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login