Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

St Louis 3D printer meeting

Posted by revwarguy 
St Louis 3D printer meeting
January 04, 2014 04:20PM
I know we have talked about having a group meeting, but there is a group already doing it! Their 11th meeting will be this January 31st at the Arch Reactor on Jefferson downtown. For more information, go to meetup.com, and search on "3d printing st louis" and there you will find directions, times, and more information.

Also, there is an area guy selling Kossel parts, named Bill Plemmons who usually goes to those meetings. His website is physical3d.net.
Re: St Louis 3D printer meeting
February 02, 2014 12:35PM
Just curious - was anyone from this list at the January meetup at the Arch Reactor? I know I was!
February 05, 2014 07:31PM
While I only lurk here on occasion, I was at the meeting. I had the two Griffin delta printers*.

We tend to get a good showing at the monthly meetings, with many different printers on display and a mix of experienced vs those just getting interested in 3d printers. Often times we have speakers, or demonstrations as well. It's a good bunch of people, and a nice selection of printers, and whether you have a printer or not (bring it it if you do), you can learn a lot. Most of us with printers are there reguarly and spend most of the night talking to new people. In fact we often don't even get a chance to look at the other printers we are so busy helping others and discussing our printers with people.

As far as printers on display, it's quite diverse. Last time we had (forgive me if I misspell a few) a Prusa, Mendel, Ultimaker, Soliddoodle, Printrbot, Cupcake, Bill Plemmons' modified Mini Kossel, and my Griffins. There was also Scott's El Monstro (a custom 5foot cartesian), but it was in a locker. I probably missed a few as well and not all were operational, but there were there to be seen. We even had a rep from a local company who does commercial stuff. In the past, we have had a original Rostock, Rostock Max, El Monstro (actually on display), an Ultimaker 2, and a local company who brought in a cartesian they were offering for sale.

*The Griffin is an open source, low cost (about $500-600total, depending on size), V-slot based, highly scalable delta printer. It easily scales from carry on luggage size witha 170mm bed, all the way up to 750mm (or larger if you sacrifice height) diameter print bed. I just finalized the last parts the other day and expect to have the documentation up soon. The larger version has been seen regularly at Arch Reactor throughout it's development, and has attracted a lot of interest due to the size vs cost. Besides my two (170mm and 500mm) There is a third (500mm) already underway, and I know several are in the planning stages.
February 26, 2014 07:11PM
Friday night is another meeting at Arch Reactor.
There should be a good selection of printers to see, including the Griffin twins.

[www.meetup.com]
March 24, 2014 01:14AM
This is happening agin this friday for those interested.
[www.meetup.com]
June 23, 2014 05:27PM
This is happening again this Friday for those interested.
Short of a Maker Fair or similar, this is one of the largest gatherings of 3d printers, with many different styles.

If you are interested in seeing or getting, or if you have one, or are putting one together, you should check it out. Bring your printer, complete or not.

This event is free and you will learn a lot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2014 05:28PM by sheepdog43.
July 16, 2014 05:19PM
This months printer meetup will be happening this Saturday and earlier in the month, for those who haven't been able to attend the Friday meetups.

There should be several Griffins (3 to 7), as well as a large assortment of other printers. Meetup info is linked the above posts.
October 19, 2014 10:30PM
Due to Halloween, the meetup this month is this friday, the 24th,

Expected printers:
Prusa 2, Lulzbot Taz, multiple Griffin Pros, probably a Griffin OS or two, a Kossel Mini or two, Ultimaker 1, a Wilson, and more than likely a Prusa 3 and whatever else happens to show up. It's the widest selection you will see in the area.

If you have a printer (running or not), just want to learn (or need help), or just want to come see a 3d printer, or for that matter if you just want to come check out Arch Reactor Hackerspace, come on out. We often have 30-40 people show up, lots of fun is had by all.

[www.meetup.com]
November 20, 2014 02:28AM
Going on again this Friday @ 7
See above for details.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login