Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Local activity updates

Posted by rrr7 
Local activity updates
July 28, 2012 02:18PM
mfgman2,
Here are pics for my custom prusa build now, still waiting on plastic parts from my friend.
Do you have any pics of your mendelmax build?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2012 02:21PM by rrr7.
Attachments:
open | download - extruder100_6236.JPG (570 KB)
open | download - parts100_6239.JPG (493.9 KB)
open | download - MYelectronics100_6241a.JPG (569.5 KB)
open | download - heatedbedelect2012-07-04_22-09-13_857a.jpg (395.8 KB)
open | download - heatedbed2012-07-05_22-15-12_548a.jpg (596.7 KB)
Re: Local activity updates
July 29, 2012 09:38AM
Never mind about letting me know about the new thread, I found it. DOH. Great pictures! I will try and post some as I start my assembly. Will start the assembly tomorrow, family comments today...getting excited about the build.
August 01, 2012 07:56PM
Have the lower and upper frame assembled on the Mendelmax 1.5 pretty solid. Vacation next week so I won't get as much done as I would like. Motors came in today. Have some pictures and will try to upload this week. Have not ordered the electronics yet, not sure what direction I am going to go.
August 02, 2012 12:18AM
I'm glad to hear you are making progress. I am still waiting on rp parts for final assembly, my friend said he had to recalibrate his makerbot again. If you would like info or opinions, just ask- I'm full of both. winking smiley
August 02, 2012 04:07PM
Thanks for the offer rrr7! I think I will finish the build first and then concentrate on the electronics. Right now, I need to order some more parts to finish the build. They should come in next week and I will finish the build next weekend (provided something doesn't blow up in the mean time). I will start the x-y-z axis install tonight. Will try to upload pics tonight or tomorrow night?!?!?!
August 11, 2012 12:42PM
Thanks for the FreeCAD suggestion, I had not come across that one the last time I looked for CAD. I installed it on Fedora and you are right, it does have some good possibilities. Quite impressive for a cross-platform open-source 3D parametric CAD modeler. It pulls up STL files and can modify them with new features although the existing features are frozen as can be expected from a surface only object definition. Unfortunately it can't load OpensCAD (.scad) yet which is is a file type being offered frequently online alongside the stl files on thingiverse and Git. But STEP, IGES, OBJ, DXF, SVG, STL, DAE, IFC, OFF and (native) Fcstd is a really decent file type list to import! I bet this will be the new popular file type as people start using this program mostly soon. I may install it on my Winows XP notebook also to see if it can handle it. I read that the development version has more features than the released version. Which version are you using?
August 17, 2012 08:30PM
Using .12 version of freecad for the mac? The pictures I have are too large for the forum to accept so I need to find a way to shrink or place somewhere else. Any suggestions? I have been busy this week and have not had any time to build. Tomorrow will be a different story, 6am rise time start to work on build at 6-7am till ?. y axis is almost installed just need to put in belt, x axis is started, z axis will follow when the other two are finished.
August 18, 2012 11:01PM
I use gimp on linux mostly, its a free program like photoshop. It has win & mac versions too. If you want something smaller, try Irfanview, it is an excellent viewing and conversion program with special effects and batch functions. I've used it for years.
I'm envious of your plastic parts, maybe I should just buy a set.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2012 11:09PM by rrr7.
August 23, 2012 01:25PM
Good news,
My friend has resolved his issues on his makerbot and has begun printing parts for me. I am now working on assembly of Greg's-Wade-extruder. It sure is handy to have video or picture instructions, thanks to the community for them all!
August 26, 2012 06:08PM
Mfgman2,
Progress... I like it! smiling smiley
Extruder mostly assembled, just hot end left to final drill upsize to 3mm hole once I find a close enough drill bit and wire up later once it is all assembled (for wire lengths). I have a couple of pics. I also was far too impatient to make a fixture to hobb the bolt and came up with a method using just a drillpress and a drill that I had not seen online anywhere, so I stuck a video on youtube. bolt-hobbing-w-drillpress
How are you doing on your mendelmax?
Attachments:
open | download - extruderbolthobbing03lt.jpg (556.3 KB)
open | download - extruderinwork02lt.jpg (498.8 KB)
August 26, 2012 07:04PM
rrr7,
You are the man! Awesome job! I have looked at a few vids., but, your idea is simple and works without the need to make a fixture. Where I come from that's LEAN thinking. I now know how I will tackle my hobbed bolt. This is what I love about this community, share for the benefit of sharing! I haven't done too much with MM this week. I am going to sit down and some way get those pics up or a link to them.
August 26, 2012 07:17PM
TEST of Picture. Now I know how to post pictures, watch out.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2012 08:33PM by mfgman2.
Attachments:
open | download - CIMG0923.jpg (93.2 KB)
open | download - CIMG0909.jpg (45.6 KB)
open | download - CIMG0928.jpg (98.9 KB)
open | download - CIMG0932.jpg (155.6 KB)
August 27, 2012 12:35AM
mfgman2,
Great job yourself! You are running at high steam too. I did borrow that washer idea part from another video. That 8020 is good stuff, yours will be rigid as a rock. Rock-on.
August 27, 2012 08:02PM
Like I said I figured out how to post some pics.....now watch out. If there is something you would like to see let me know. Pic 947 shows where I am at, still need to install the lead screws for the z axis, screws and nuts for the z rods, and then align them. I need to install the x axis belt and idler and mount the wades extruder. Still need to get the hot end or make one. Then its the dreaded electronics.....not my cup of tea, but, I will figure it out.
Attachments:
open | download - CIMG0947.jpg (324.6 KB)
open | download - CIMG0948.jpg (334.2 KB)
open | download - CIMG0951.jpg (297.5 KB)
open | download - CIMG0953.jpg (293 KB)
open | download - CIMG0954.jpg (237.2 KB)
open | download - CIMG0955.jpg (304.6 KB)
open | download - CIMG0956.jpg (313.7 KB)
open | download - CIMG0957.jpg (276.5 KB)
open | download - CIMG0959.jpg (311.2 KB)
September 15, 2012 12:26AM
I have put together most of a frame, so that is good. But on the flip side, I messed up my computer and ended up upgrading my OS to Fedora 17 and now my software packages are taking a while to reload and I am having issues with the new printer host version. How are you doing?
Attachments:
open | download - prusaframe0-sm.jpg (597.6 KB)
October 28, 2012 05:58PM
Computer is back up, software configured and printer mostly assembled. I am waiting on the last plastic parts to bond the X-stage bushings then carriage in place. Decided on a few modifications along the way. Soon I should be in calibration mode. I would like to open a personal web page to post some pictures on that may be helpful to someone else.
How is it going mfgman2?

Just opened a blog webpage
[creatorson.wordpress.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2012 08:32PM by rrr7.
Attachments:
open | download - 2012-10-21_15-17-28_102-small.jpg (533.7 KB)
November 27, 2012 11:08AM
Build complete!
calibrated!
and now doing calibration prints to get workable settings. my skeinforge settings are doing funny things with the extruder like running in reverse for over half a minute before trying to print. so i switched to slic3r with its meager couple dozen settings to get something useful. now just working on settings using the thingiverse accuracy master part and trying to work the bugs out of the mechanical parts. smiling smiley
December 23, 2012 11:39PM
Ok, read about how to fix the extruder reversal in skeinforge manual: add a start file to skeinforge and zero the extruder at the start of the print. It is apparently trying to back up to the zero mark before beginning. So I am back on skeinforge and printing. At least I was until I noticed my extruder mod had sprung a plastic leak. So I took apart my extruder to add a seal and messed up my thermal isolator so I have to make another one.
[creatorson.wordpress.com]
So soon I should be back up and printing.
July 27, 2013 04:54AM
Hello guys, are you still monitoring this thread? I am planning on building a Pursa Mendel and was wondering if I could count on you fols for help, if and when I need any smiling smiley
Thanks!
August 10, 2013 06:05PM
I think I posted this to the wrong place so I repeating it here. I have searched for a REPRAP forum that covers printer electronics for beginners without finding anything. I have an eletronics background but need some help with the uniquely Reprap application.

Hello,
From Central Missouri Area
I just joined the reprap group although I have been working on a reprap for a while. I felt that the all-thread rods would not be stable enough. So I started building my own design with laminated wood. By the time I was nearing completion the thing had gotten way too heavy. So now I building a lighter weight verson, but still more than strong enough. I have aquired everything I need except the printhead and the electronics. Now I'm not sure which electronics package is the way to go and would like to discuss this with someone knowledgeable.
Thanks,
Bob B. near Fulton, MO
September 11, 2013 01:39AM
Hi, my name is Seth Duncan. I'm a college student in the area. I'm studying mechanical engineering. I've used a 3d printer by ZCorp in high school and am interested in building one for myself that I could use. Could anyone maybe help me out?
October 25, 2013 12:34PM
Sure duncansryan,
The whole REPRAP community is available, just post your question under the topic it deals with for the most answers.
Go ahead and start your own thread under St. Louis group if you wish. We have not gotten together in this region yet, we have been kind-of kicking the idea around.
December 26, 2014 11:12AM
I would like to sell this MendelMax. It is unfinished, but, all parts are included except electronics. I am downsizing and will only have a limited amount of room for my interests, so, I cannot take this project along. $200 or best offer, must pick up will not ship. Pictures on previous posts show the finish state. Right person could have this up and running in a weekend. Thanks for reading.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login