Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A reprapper in Dublin

Posted by dslc 
A reprapper in Dublin
May 06, 2012 03:52PM
Hi all. I can't remember if there are Reprappers in Dublin already or not. Are there?

Anyway, I'm based in Dublin and more-or-less have my Reprap running now. I'd say it's closer to "less" at the current point actually - coz the quality of my prints are very poor and I haven't diagnosed the problem yet. Hopefully it's something minor and I just need to calibrate something more carefully - but the diagnosis will have to wait until after my exams in any case. It's printing now at least.

I'm using Gen7 v1.3 electronics, a basic DIY hot-end (somewhat similar to that used in the Reprap Universal mini-extruder), and the Teacup Firmware. It's a very basic set-up - no heated bed, no LCD, no SD card. (And yes - it's a Prusa Mendel.)

I'm posting notes on my progress at [indigo.uk.to] .

Thanks to Alan (amk) for helping me get started by printing a set of parts at a reasonable price.

David

Semi-commercial engineering | Reprap diary
Re: A reprapper in Dublin
May 25, 2012 09:07AM
Nice one David! You're up and running. I'm not in Dublin but I'll still talk to you! smiling smiley

Post some more detail about your set-up and I'll try help you improve the print quality. Print speed, software you are using, temperature you are running at, stuff like that will help. A little video of your machine in action can show a lot some times.

Best of luck with it.
NumberSix.

[numbersixreprap.blogspot.com]
May 28, 2012 05:40PM
Hi Ivor. Appreciate the feedback!

The opto-endstop I'm using for the Z-min is giving me headaches (it's difficult to get it to stop at exactly the right point). That's not the worst problem though (I can bypass the homing procedure at the start of prints and just set the coordinates manually).

I noticed earlier today that the wooden mounting piece I'm using to mount my hot-end to the extruder carriage is actually wobbling during prints eye rolling smiley (It's a crappy design - the mounting piece that is). So that's probably the next thing I need to tackle.

I probably need to more carefully calibrate a few things as well (trimpot on the stepper boards, etc.).

I'll try to upload a video over the next day or two if I'm still having the same problems.

david

P.S. If I needed a part printed in an emergency would you be in a position to print it (I could pay via Paypal)? One of the parts on my Greg's hinged extruder has started to crack and I might not be printing properly in time to print a replacement. Hopefully I won't need this but it would be good to have the option.
May 30, 2012 12:34PM
Hi again Ivor. I have posted details about some of the issues I'm having (plus print/temperature settings and a video of a test print) in another thread, here. I hope you don't mind but I won't re-post them here - to avoid duplication.

I've had a look at your blog by the way. Stunning prints!

david
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login