Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ESP32 Printer Board

Posted by CthulhuLabs 
Re: ESP32 Printer Board
August 01, 2017 11:16AM
I forgot to include URT0 in my pin count thank you for pointing that out.

At this point I am certain I am going to have to use an external GPIO chip. I am currently looking at the MCP23S17 as well as a few others.
August 02, 2017 12:24AM
Hubberthus, thanks for that analysis. A few comments:

- The ARM specific assembly code in RRF is only there to provide a register and stack dump if an exception occurs, to help identify the cause. So it can be left out, or equivalent ESP32 code substituted.
- Even if a USB interface isn't needed, it's well worth keeping the UART pins available for debugging purposes, and to update the firmware when OTA isn't working.
- An 8-bit DAC provides enough resolution if it is used to feed Vref pins to set motor current.
- The problem with using I/O expanders is the increase in latency. They should not be used for signals to stepper motors. OTOH an I/O expander such as the SX1509B with built-in PWM capability that we use on the DueXn expansion board could be used to drive heaters, fans and Vref pins. The main limitation of that chip is that it can't do the low PWM frequencies that some SSRs and some fans need, or to generate a servo signal.

Delta printer calibration calculator, mini IR Z probe, and colour touch screen control panel: [escher3d.com]

Large delta printer, and other 3D printer blog postings: [miscsolutions.wordpress.com]

Disclosure: I have a financial interest in sales of the Panel Due, Mini IR height sensor, and Duet WiFi/Duet Ethernet [www.duet3d.com].
August 03, 2017 02:29PM
I want to stick to SPI chips as it means only having to worry about pins for a single bus. Probably going to go with a general GPIO chip and a PWM chip with a high enough frequency. That is assuming the ADCs will work for the temperature readings.
October 06, 2017 09:46AM
Seems to me that these two boards could go together if someone wanted to work on firmware for ESP32:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-Sale-1PC-TTgo-ESP32-WiFi-Bluetooth-4MB-Flash-UNO-D1-R32-Board-Module-For-Arduino/32820463407.html?spm=2114.search0104.8.55.iPBR3I

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-cnc-shield-v3-engraving-machine-3D-Printer-4pcs-A4988-driver-expansion-board-UNO-R3/32582748664.html

October 17, 2017 09:30AM
Here's the above mentioned CNC SHIELD connected to ESP8266 (Wemos D1) board:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii7Cn1PlVFY
October 18, 2017 02:17AM
Thats certainly an interesting board (+ standard cnc sheild) for testing any esp32 based firmware, just needs something to provide thermistor input and mosfets outputs

the magic keyword to find them on google seems to be "Wemos UNO R32"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2017 02:23AM by Dust.
October 18, 2017 04:44AM
Dust
Thats certainly an interesting board (+ standard cnc sheild) for testing any esp32 based firmware, just needs something to provide thermistor input and mosfets outputs

Thermocouple:

[www.ebay.de]

for thermistors you just need two resistors (a cap might help also)

mosfets outputs:

[www.ebay.de]

Disclaimer: I have bought these things on ebay, but other than that I have no connection to the people selling this stuff on ebay
October 18, 2017 10:54AM
I suspect that the ESP8266 is only used as a serial-to-WiFi interface, and the hardware is being driven by the ATMega 328
[www.robotics.org.za]
[www.aliexpress.com]

In which case you would have to do quite a lot of work to move any firmware functionality to the ESP8266. But perhaps a useful platform for something like klipper @KevinOConnor which already divides up the functionality.
October 18, 2017 01:32PM
@frankvdh

There is no atmega 328 on the board listed, only on the board you found.. (at least its not listed, and I cant see one)

See [www.cnx-software.com]

October 18, 2017 04:38PM
Ah, thanks @Dust.My mistake.

Found the right one (I hope) at [www.aliexpress.com]

Downside is

Note that if you have shields using the Analog input they may not work properly since there’s only one input supporting up to 3.2V, as Arduino UNO board support 6 analog inputs up to 5V.

Perhaps the Noduino Quantum would be a better choice?

But they're about 3 times the price.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login