Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

M600 like custom change filament solution question

Posted by DesignSmurf 
M600 like custom change filament solution question
April 01, 2017 06:04AM
Hi all, a question related to Marlin Firmware and the M600 change filament command.

the change filament M600 works, but I need a slightly different set of commands to run a filament change.
I have tried to do this with a custom menu item and a couple of ' enquecommand ' lines to perform the necessary steps
Unfortunately it doesn't work all the way. Maybe you can provide me a solution... (not a start an C+ coding)

This is what I need:

when a filament change is needed:

- I press a menu Item (change filament)
- extruder moves up 5mm
- extruders moves to X3 Y3
- NO rewind in filament here!!
- wait with beeping sound

(here I change the filament cartridge, when done I press the 'finish change filament ' menu option)

- First the extruder needs to extrude an amount (E+1000) of filament at it's current position.(X3 Y3)
- move back to the original print point
- reset to the original E value (E-1000 at this point) WITHOUT the extruder motor actually moving or turning backwards
- move down 5mm
- continue printing.

My issue is with the Rewinding of filament. Whatever I try, I can't reset the E value after E+1000 extrusion to the Original Value from when I press for a change filament.
So It will either rewind before the E+1000 command (normal M600, I don't want that) or it will rewind after the E+1000 command to get back to its original E value where it stopped printing for filament change!

Using Marlin and Arduino + Ramps,
Any solutions?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2017 06:05AM by DesignSmurf.
Re: M600 like custom change filament solution question
April 01, 2017 06:12AM
You could slice your models using relative extruder coordinates instead of absolute.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2017 06:13AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 01, 2017 07:07AM
Hi Dc42

I was thinking about that, but how to move to X3 Y3 from a relative position during the print. And return back to the initial position after the filament change?
April 01, 2017 12:28PM
DesignSmurf
Hi Dc42

I was thinking about that, but how to move to X3 Y3 from a relative position during the print. And return back to the initial position after the filament change?

I don't know how to do that using Marlin, but it's easy with RepRapFirmware. You use M83 to make extrusion relative while keeping XYZ movement absolute. Then you execute a pause to move the head to wherever you want. When you are done you use G1 R1 to move back to the paused position. Perhaps Marlin has something similar.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

April 02, 2017 09:46AM
I got it working slicing with relative E...
Not a very nice option but it's okay.
Unfortunately Slic3r has a Bug using Relative E and spiral vase, it produces a weird seam.

Thank you very much!

I am still looking into finding a way to use a Variable as an Gcode value as this would give me much more freedom to finetune the material change.
April 02, 2017 11:22AM
DesignSmurf
Unfortunately Slic3r has a Bug using Relative E and spiral vase, it produces a weird seam.

It worked OK last time I tried it, but that was a long time ago. Which version of slic3r are you using?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2017 11:23AM by dc42.

April 02, 2017 11:30AM
but the bug has been in there for some time.
prints good without spiral.
and the custom change filament also works now.
just not with a spiral vase code!
April 07, 2017 03:26AM
** SOLVED **

This is done with the latest Marlin instalment, RC8.
In the Next release it will be part of Marlin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2017 03:27AM by DesignSmurf.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login