Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NEMA 34 extruder

Posted by epicepee 
NEMA 34 extruder
August 08, 2016 11:14PM
I have come across a NEMA 34 stepper, and I thought it might be fun to build an extruder around it. It's an M091-FD03, described here (look on page 3, third line down, at the "bipolar" section).

It would be Bowden, because I have a delta, and it probably couldn't even lift the motor. On the other hand, the excess torque (about 180 oz-in holding) would let me use a large drive gear to get better grip, and would prevent any skipped steps.

Problem 1: the drive gear. The shaft has a 14mm diameter, which is larger than the ODs of every drive gear I've seen. Unless I can find a larger one and bore it out, this means I have to either machine my own gear and design my own extruder, or attach a "shoulder shaft" to reduce the diameter. Or perhaps I could use a geared or belted extruder, in which case only the drive gear or pulley would need modification.

Problem 2: the electronics. This is actually pretty small as NEMA 34's go, but it still wants 3.3A, which is twice what my DRV8825's can give. Are the cheap Toshiba drivers on eBay really that bad?

Problem 3: the design. I can only find one NEMA 23 extruder design out there, and it's designed for a MK8 drive gear, which would be unnecessarily small even if the shaft would fit. So, I must either design my own extruder, scale up / modify a NEMA 17 design, or use an adapter plate -- and I suspect the latter option would break the extruder if I'm not careful.

Or I could just save the thing for the Z-axis of my next machine...
Re: NEMA 34 extruder
August 09, 2016 01:43AM
Big drive gear means less e-steps/mm.
Although it would be fun to see this beast pressing cold filament through a 0.2mm nozzle, I'd not accept a lower resolution.
Re: NEMA 34 extruder
August 09, 2016 09:04AM
That motor is physically large, but 180 oz-in is very low torque for a NEMA-34 motor. I have a 425 oz-in NEMA-23 size motor driving the Y axis in my printer.

If you use it in a 3D printer, expect a LOT of vibration (and noise) from it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2016 09:07AM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login