Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Capacitive encoders

Posted by epicepee 
Capacitive encoders
June 16, 2016 06:42PM
I recently saw a tutorial involving the cheap (~$20) digital calipers one can buy on one's shopping site of choice. While the calipers themselves have a few important limitations, the principle upon which they function is very interesting.

Essentially, they place a row of small, insulated pads on the main PCB next to a similar, but more widely-spaced, row on a PCB that's glued to the body of the calipers. As the two slide past each other, the capacitance of each pad on the first row changes in a predictable manner. A little math and you have a simple, precise linear encoder.

This got me thinking. PCBs are quite cheap, and these calipers can read down to ten microns (!) with a fairly simple setup. What if we used something like this the way some people here are using optical encoder strips? The optical strips are not easy to come by -- all of those I've seen have been salvaged from inkjet printers.

In addition, we could use this technique to create simple, precise rotary encoders. For example, the Mechaduino project has made amazing advances in low-price closed-loop stepper control, but they're still limited by the magnetic encoders they use. Replacing the encoder wheel with a PCB, and building the other half of the encoder into the Mechaduino PCB itself, could cut costs and increase accuracy.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2016 06:43PM by epicepee.
VDX
Re: Capacitive encoders
June 16, 2016 07:47PM
... yes, could be really interesting for rotating absolute position encoders with high resolution.

I'm laser-etching my PCB's with positioning accuracies of around 5 microns, what would be enough precision of any sort of raster.

Will think about the needed geometries for an absolute encoder with 500 to 2000 steps per rev.

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login