Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question - output from Serial Port on Reprap

Posted by redozqld 
Question - output from Serial Port on Reprap
February 17, 2016 07:02PM
Hello All

I have a side project that I have been thinking about for a while with my reprap, I have a wombot printer, and its nice, having some issues, mainly due to heat and pla parts, but that is getting fixed, I was curious about the serial output from the board, as I have the usb connected to a raspberry pi and octoprint so I can keep an eye on my printer... I was wanting to take, if this is possible, a serial line (the one that already exists) and run it to a LCD (touchscreen, or 12864 etc) so I can see what is going on, I am assuming that while the printer is running, the GCODE is running away quite happly from this port, and essentially I just want it there simply to see what is going on, rather than logging into the pi...

Does anyone know if this is feasible, does the output TX/GND can this be fed into a serial terminal just to look, is there something that you can make a stand alone terminal for displaying serial lines in a 12864 type of connection..

I hope this makes sense, its something that I would like to do in the future and any pointers or reading or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

------------------------------------------------------------
Another day in Paradise
------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Question - output from Serial Port on Reprap
February 17, 2016 09:37PM
You should probably look into the already available LCD+Keyboard interfaces. They display way more interesting information than the raw GCODE lines...
February 17, 2016 09:47PM
Do you have any links/projects/names?

Thanks!
February 19, 2016 10:10PM
I saw some on the Marlin firmware configuration file.[github.com]

Search for @section lcd

In that section you will find several supported control panels, most of them opensource.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login