Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tube cutter

Posted by dansu 
Tube cutter
January 07, 2016 08:30AM
Hello everybody, I am new to this forum. I am developing a tube cutter (5-6mm in diameter) and am using an arduino uno and 2 NEMA 17 stepper motors.
I am looking for code that I could use to first give the correct length of tube then turn a motor 180 degrees to cut the tube. Any one know if this has been done before ?
Re: Tube cutter
January 07, 2016 12:49PM
What are you cutting the tube with? It sounds like you want something of a lathe setup, but I'm not sure why you want to rotate the tube 180 degrees to make a cut.

Any gcode interpretor firmware such as marlin on a mega or grbl on an uno could be used to control the drivers that move the motors.

Please be careful and do your research. An automated cutting machine, especially one that will be cutting metal, is inherently somewhat dangerous and made even moreso if the machine and it's software are not properly implemented.

For instance, crashing a cutoff wheel into a metal tube due to improper g code might send a disintegrated wheel flying into your face.
January 13, 2016 11:18PM
Here's a nice tube cutter, [www.youtube.com]
pity it's a little out of reach for most of us.
January 14, 2016 12:50AM
MechaBits
Here's a nice tube cutter, [www.youtube.com]
pity it's a little out of reach for most of us.

I was singing the praises of tube lasers on another forum just this morning.

I was introduced to them recently myself. The first time I saw one on YouTube I decided my new life goal was to own one. Ha.
January 14, 2016 10:36AM
or a light sabre smiling smiley
January 15, 2016 08:29AM
Jaw. Dropped. Oooh, the things we could make...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login