Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PVC frame CoreXY

Posted by DonaldJ 
PVC frame CoreXY
October 23, 2015 01:20AM
My first build from scratch...12"x18"x18" build volume. You can get it here: [www.thingiverse.com]
Attachments:
open | download - printer.JPG (308.4 KB)
open | download - 1st_print.JPG (449.4 KB)
Re: PVC frame CoreXY
November 10, 2015 10:33AM
nice job.

"you will spend many contemplative hours......"

only those who've spent the hours know how funny that is.
November 27, 2015 05:38AM
Well done!

I had the PVC-brackets on my watch list for a CNC mill, but was never happy with the 4-pipe layout.
My gut feeling tells me: 3 pipes would be more rigid...

How does the calibration hold when room temperature changes? I'm pretty sure, it would benefit from a temp-controlled enclosure.
-Olaf
December 02, 2015 05:17PM
o_lampe
Well done!

I had the PVC-brackets on my watch list for a CNC mill, but was never happy with the 4-pipe layout.
My gut feeling tells me: 3 pipes would be more rigid...

How does the calibration hold when room temperature changes? I'm pretty sure, it would benefit from a temp-controlled enclosure.
-Olaf

I abandoned the 3 pipe layout because the geometry was getting too weird for me to model in Tinkercad. The corner pieces are a lot easier to model and print with 4 pipes.

Calibration stability is unknown at this time; project is on hold while I optimize the wiring. Initial tests indicate the overall strength and rigidity of the frame is fine.

Frankly, this printer is too big for my studio apartment; I'm losing too much "walk around" room. I may strip it down and make a more modest sized unit, or just replace the PVC pipe with aluminum extrusion which would reduce the size somewhat. As a proof of concept it works well, and I've gotten a good understanding of CoreXY kinematics.

I won't call it a success until it runs a few multi-day prints ;-)
December 02, 2015 08:07PM
Why did you use multiple smaller pipes instead of a single, larger diameter (maybe 3") pipe?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
December 03, 2015 06:40PM
the_digital_dentist
Why did you use multiple smaller pipes instead of a single, larger diameter (maybe 3") pipe?

Easier to ensure structural members are straight, easier to cut the smaller size, and easier to align because the printed parts won't rotate around the pipe.

And I had a bunch on hand;-)
January 14, 2016 01:25PM
Have you considered swapping the PVC for steel conduit or aluminum tube?
January 22, 2016 07:13PM
epicepee
Have you considered swapping the PVC for steel conduit or aluminum tube?

No, but I plan to redesign the parts so they could clamp on metal tubing (instead of using drilled holes). Unless someone does it first ;-)
February 14, 2016 12:52AM
I am impressed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login