Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wanted: Crazy Ideas! I'm building another RepRap!

Posted by thatcham 
Wanted: Crazy Ideas! I'm building another RepRap!
October 15, 2015 10:47AM
Ok...
I have an i2 an i3 and I'm going to be building an i3-Mini... (Plus a SECRET 3D Printer - Details soon)

But I don't want it to be just another i3.
I want to hear some crazy ideas I could implement with it!
I have no intention of using this as a daily printer, I just want to build something CRAZY! smiling smiley

Or at least try some experimental stuff - Like a self leveling bed!!

There probably are not many ideas, but I hope there are!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2015 03:07AM by VDX.
Re: Wanted: Crazy Ideas! I'm building another RepRap!
October 17, 2015 02:54PM
Add 4 el-cheapo servos that would turn screws to level bed. That's just NUTS.
Make it move hotend up on retraction with solenoid. That's CRAAAAZYYY.
Make it with DC motors with encoders only, no steppers. That's not your everyday crazy, that's ADVANCED crazy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2015 02:54PM by toxuin.
October 18, 2015 07:47AM
USe something like this:

Linear Motor

instead of steppers.
October 20, 2015 05:42PM
a printer that takes a USB stick!, none of this barbaric SD card nonsense
October 20, 2015 05:44PM
Scissor lift z axis with firmware compensation for nonlinearity.
October 20, 2015 06:00PM
Include an inkjet to colour the filament as its being laid down.

*Printed* scissor lift Z axis.
TTN
October 22, 2015 11:59PM
Toolhead switching on a delta: switch out different nozzles (which have different colors or materials in them).
e.g. like this: [www.youtube.com]

Over there the hotend could shift on the endeffectors magnets in the xy directions. If magnetic balls instead of flat magnets were used (like on magnetic rod ends), that potential movement could be eliminated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2015 12:02AM by TTN.
October 25, 2015 03:18PM
I'm in the process of designing my own printer: here are some ideas I have considered, and might still use.

1) replace NEMA 17 with cheaper steppers. I am considering 24BYJ48s (links below).

2) have a really long build area, like 200mm x 1000mm x 180mm

3) try a polar design (like link #3)

4) move the drive motor for the extruder off of the extruder

[www.aliexpress.com]

www.electrokit.com/productFile/download/5497

[polar3d.com]
TTN
October 26, 2015 12:54AM
AudaciousTuddle
move the drive motor for the extruder off of the extruder

Already implemented. Google for 'bowden tube' : )
October 26, 2015 03:48PM
I think he means a direct drive with a remote motor.. which has still already been done. (See. Flex3Drive)

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
October 27, 2015 11:58AM
AudaciousTuddle
1) replace NEMA 17 with cheaper steppers. I am considering 24BYJ48s (links below).

ToyRep 3D Printer
October 27, 2015 12:01PM
TTN and gmh39, I hadn't done a lot of diving into extruders before the last couple days: please excuse my ignorance.

A couple more ideas:

Turn everything upside down! or sideways! [3dprint.com]
Fix the extruder in one place and then move eveything else in XYZ, or just let the extruder move in Z.
Move everything with lead screws
Make a butane powered hotend! similar to [www.amazon.com]
3D print the entire frame
don't use a build plate, just print directly onto the table/counter/floor
Instead of a standard acrylic enclosure, build it into a nice hardwood kitchen cabnet.
don't use steppers, use DC motors with shaft encoders. Add some sensors to the extruders and use inertial navigation, or use a linear potentiometer for posistion feedback.

oh and of course you can add LEDs everywhere on it.

need any more crazy ideas?
October 27, 2015 04:53PM
101-colour auto-changing multi-filament.
October 28, 2015 10:20AM
Did anyone tried to build a light direct drive multi-extruder carriage?

I am thinking about ways to drive 3 or 4 extruders with the same stepper motor.
TTN
October 28, 2015 03:09PM
AudaciousTuddle
TTN and gmh39, I hadn't done a lot of diving into extruders before the last couple days: please excuse my ignorance.

All goods : )

Move everything with lead screws

Lead screw is sloowww, sorry.

3D print the entire frame

Someone did it! Really neat: [reprap.org]
October 29, 2015 04:09PM
Automatic filament thickness measurement, to change the extrusion rate dynamically to account for the exact actual cross section of the filament.
Torque sensors on the extruder motor to dynamically adjust the temperature for optimum flow pressure.

I'm pretty sure nobody else is even touching those two features.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
November 01, 2015 03:21AM
Feign
Automatic filament thickness measurement, to change the extrusion rate dynamically to account for the exact actual cross section of the filament.
Torque sensors on the extruder motor to dynamically adjust the temperature for optimum flow pressure.

I'm pretty sure nobody else is even touching those two features.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic but in case you are not,there are already many working examples of filament width sensors.
November 02, 2015 04:16AM
Write a new 32 bit reprap firmware, using a raspberry pi and a yet to be developed pi shield.

Do not use Linux or other OS. make it bare metal firmware. (there is actually a lot of info already out there on how to bare metal program a rpi)

(you wanted crazy!! tongue sticking out smiley)
November 02, 2015 02:20PM
Use a RasPi and this shield pif Then keep Linux on the Pi (no bare metal programming!) and let the shield handle everything that needs to be real time.
November 03, 2015 03:04AM
bare metal vs FPGA... Im not sure which scares me more!

Still need a shield, for driver chips, or h-bridges if using the FPGA for stepper signals. And other mosfets, and plns and stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2015 03:05AM by Dust.
November 03, 2015 12:56PM
@Dust: You are right a shield would be needed. For development one could start with any shield und just connect it with jumper cables. Even a normal board would work. just desolder the AVR or cut the traces.

The much bigger issue here is the FPGA programming. I would start with only doing the Step and Dir signal generation in the FPGA and using a stepper driver chip. Changing to h-bridge only should be easy to do later. PWM and PID should be the part where the FPGA can show what it can do. Temperture measurement might need an external ADC.

If someone write open source FPGA code that actually works on such a prototype I would do a shield for the Pi.
November 04, 2015 02:22AM
frankvdh
101-colour auto-changing multi-filament.
Why stop at 101 colours? How about 24-bit full colour printing?

Follow my Mendel Prusa build here: [julianh72.blogspot.com]
November 04, 2015 05:14AM
@JustAnotherOne

You could just upload a arduino emulator into one corner of the FPGA.. Then run normal firmware on that.

I know that emulation exists, but I dont know how stable or what mpu... [hackaday.com]
November 05, 2015 01:10PM
zerodameaon
I can't tell if you are being sarcastic but in case you are not,there are already many working examples of filament width sensors.
Oh, wow, okay. I really wasn't aware of any of them.
Any chance you could toss me an example?
November 05, 2015 03:54PM
Here's a crazy idea: how about making a small volume printer with an emphasis on high quality printing instead of lowest possible cost?
Pull out all the stops and put the best stuff you can find into making it as ideal as possible. Design in things like absolute rigidity, slop free bearings, adequate bed heat, flat bed, quality extruder/hot-end, etc.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
VDX
November 05, 2015 05:03PM
... I've done this once - a 'pocket-size' DLM-system -- Size without laser maybe 200x200x300mm (XYZ), build envelope around 50x50x30mm, resoultion 0.1 microns with 1 micron accuracy, laserspot-diameter 10 microns, price withot laser around 30k€ ... and add the same for the laser (diode-pumped disk-laser).

This was then a 'closed' development, so no documentation eye rolling smiley

Now I have even better lasers in my basement and some of the needed parts too ... have plans to build a more modern SLS/DLM system for me with actual software, what's much easier and more comfortable, than self-programming all the converters and drivers for the device 15 years ago.

... but could be, I have a similar project starting next year with my company, so could be 'closed' again until 2017 confused smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
November 06, 2015 10:36AM
the_digital_dentist
Here's a crazy idea: how about making a small volume printer with an emphasis on high quality printing instead of lowest possible cost?
Pull out all the stops and put the best stuff you can find into making it as ideal as possible. Design in things like absolute rigidity, slop free bearings, adequate bed heat, flat bed, quality extruder/hot-end, etc.

Hey, that's my current project! A ~ 100x100x100 mm FDM printer with the highest precision in a budget of 600 - 1000 €.
Is that so crazy?! I thought it were very reasonable! grinning smiley
November 08, 2015 07:15PM
frankvdh
Include an inkjet to colour the filament as its being laid down.

that is actually a cool idea.

edit:but a bit messy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2015 07:19PM by Qdeathstar.
November 09, 2015 08:00AM
Hows about using airtripper's filiament force sensor together with a pinch wheel to "autocalibrate" print speed and temperatures.
[airtripper.com]

Whenever I get a new filament I find out the maximum extrusion flow rate i can achieve for a range of temperatures by manually extruding at increasing speeds until i start to see the drive gear slipping. I then set my print speeds based on this maximum flow rate. Infill at 90% of the maximum, perimeters at 60%.
With a pinch wheel or force sensor, and a bit of new firmware you could automate this process. And also create a closed loop feedback system to stop/slow the print speed if the filament slips.
January 08, 2016 10:35AM
Roflmfao... I recognize a few of my own crazy 'trains of thought in there', waiting for my UV Led light panel to arrive, and a few other parts that will do nothing to improve the functionality of the machine.
Speaking of crazy trains, What about Mag_Lev on all axis, including filament spool, fast n silent.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2016 01:38PM by MechaBits.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login