Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Laser Cut Optimized Extruder

Posted by printmate3d 
Laser Cut Optimized Extruder
January 13, 2014 08:01AM
Hi There,

as here announced, I would like to show you the current state of our simple lasercut extruder.

We designed our 3D printer kit to be as easy as possible to assemble. Everybody who assembled the printMATE 3D was impressed how easy and fast it is to assemble a lasercut frame. Everything fits perfectly together, you can't do something wrong. Up to the extruder assembly all where happy. There they have to remove some infill, everything is really tight ... That just didn't fit in our concept of an easy and fast to assemble 3D printer. After some feedback we just ship assembled and tested extruders. We would like to avoid that.

The best would be, if we could build a lasercut extruder. It would be easy to assemble as the rest of the printer.
There is already a PrintrBot laser cut extruder, but we would like to reduce the parts from 11 to 4 or less. We also like the simple YRUDS extruder design.

Following you can have a look to our first prototypes. The extruder itself needs just two lasercut parts, two more if you count the gears.
The most important thing is to find a solution to replace the idler on an extra moving part, because that makes a lasercut design unnecessary complex. As you can see, we experimented with some different materials.

The first tests where ok, but not reliable enough. We will keep you up to date, if we have some progress.

Best regards

Sebastian

High quality, fast to assemble and everything you need DIY 3D printer kit. - [printMATE3D.com]
Re: Laser Cut Optimized Extruder
January 14, 2014 12:52PM
Is the printmate printer an original design or a slightly modified i3/mendel90? What's the advantages of your design? It looks interesting but I can't tell what is essentially different from local designs. Thanks.

--------------| For Everything |--------------------------
Check it out here:
[reprapsquad.wordpress.com].
---------| For Everything Prototype Related |------
Now featuring comp case mods:
[RepRapLab.wordpress.com]

--------------| Find us at Twitter|------------------------
@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
@REPRAPSQUADHQ (ProtoLab)
[mobile.twitter.com]
Re: Laser Cut Optimized Extruder
January 14, 2014 03:17PM
Hello RRS,

REPRAP SQUAD
Is the printmate printer an original design or a slightly modified i3/mendel90?
We like the i3 idea, but wont something really fast and easy to assemble (laser cut), a kit where you (nearly) can't do something wrong while assembly (I suppose you know the feeling from your PB ). We also would like to add some details we think a 3D printer should include.
I spend more than 140h to design the CAD model, countless more to optimize the construction. I would like to say its a new design and not just a slightly modified i3.

REPRAP SQUAD
What's the advantages of your design? It looks interesting but I can't tell what is essentially different from local designs.
I don't understand "local design". Do you mean original design?
Our idea of a 3D printer kit is not just the frame, it's the hole concept how you assemble and know your machine.
The printer itself has a lot of clever details that makes the assembly easy and fast and the use pleasing. We try always to make the construction as simple as possible. So we reduced printed parts to a minimum (just the extruder) and we will try to remove them completely.
The kit contains 18 bags for easy 18 steps, with a nice instruction manual and building videos. If you need in step 12 two zip ties, they will be in bag 12. If you need somewhere 3,5cm heating shrink, it will be in the right bag. So you just need some basic tools to assemble the printer. No crimping, no soldering, just plain assembling.
All wires will be at a defined place, so it will look after just six hours of assembly very clean.

If you would like to know more about the background of th printer please read more here.

I think you know what I'm talking about. You own a very nice and simple designed PB.

Back to the topic.
Today a lasered some new prototypes for the extruder. Hopefully we can test them the next days...

Sebastian

High quality, fast to assemble and everything you need DIY 3D printer kit. - [printMATE3D.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login