Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to make a heated bed with pcb by myself??

Posted by sheepguo 
How to make a heated bed with pcb by myself??
January 11, 2014 08:31PM
Now I want to make my own heated bed with pcb but I have a question. How to add the heater strip in the pcb with exact value of resistance and layout?
Re: How to make a heated bed with pcb by myself??
January 12, 2014 02:49PM
Use a scrap piece of PCB and cut some traces on it with a knife from end to end in some nominal width say 1/4". Make a cut from one end to the other stopping short by the same amount. Then step over and make a cut in the other direction again stopping the same distance from the end producing a zig zag trace with enough length to measure the resistance with an ohmmeter. Then use ohms law E(voltage)= I(current) X R(resistance) and Power = E x I for this sample. Making it twice as wide will make the current twice as much and the power twice as much for the same length. Making the trace twice as long will make the resistance twice as much and cut the power in half. Work from there, you'll get a good basic education in resistance and DC power.
January 12, 2014 04:43PM
In theory you can calculate trace width and length using a formula, the details are here [circuitcalculator.com] How well thats works in practice for a heated bed I don't know, but I suspect some trial and error would be needed to get desired result.

As for drawing the tracks, I think you have to do that the hard way, although I would be tempted to write some sort of script to do it.

What is Open Source?
What is Open Source Hardware?
Open Source in a nutshell: the Four Freedoms
CC BY-NC is not an Open Source license
March 03, 2014 04:38PM
You can also use a aluminium bed which you can heat up with a hair dryer on max heat setting.
March 03, 2014 07:35PM
Why not just use a can of Sterno under the aluminum plate, like they use at hotel buffets to keep the food trays warm????? smiling smiley
March 03, 2014 08:32PM
vreihen
Why not just use a can of Sterno under the aluminum plate, like they use at hotel buffets to keep the food trays warm????? smiling smiley

you would have a melted print because the sterno burns way beyond the the melting temp of the pla/abs
April 08, 2014 10:01AM
Use strip board. Soldering the ends together you can make a trace that zigzags across the board. It works well enough for me, was cheap as chips and is really light! (you might need to solder tracks in parallel to get the resistance down.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login