Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Inserting a break point?

Posted by WDZaphod 
Inserting a break point?
July 20, 2012 09:31PM
Hello Guys,

womderi g if this exists already?
Is it possible to add a king of break point to the gcode, what makes the printer stop at a defined point (and probably lifts Z a new mm, to prevent melting a hole), and continue printing after a button is pressed?
This would be useful for changing filament color in the middle of a print, or adding something (a nut for example) in a print before a covering layer is applied?
The only problem would be to find the right point in the gcode, this could be done in Pronterface. In the layer-Preview ther could be a Button for such a break point.
Of course the Controller needs a button to reposition to the last extruder position and continue printing.

Any ideas / suggestions about this?

Hi from Switzerland,
Michael
Re: Inserting a break point?
July 21, 2012 07:00AM
Well you can do this manually with pronterface easily, just pause, then move x or y enough to get it out of the way, do what you want, hit resume. (Don't home it, because you don't want to introduce inaccuracies from the endstops.) Since this is the sort of thing that needs manual intervention anyway, I would have thought an automatic system wouldn't save much time.
July 21, 2012 07:55PM
I didn't know that you can move X or Y after pressing pause, and it returns to the last point when you resume? That's great!
Nevertheless you have to take care while printing to not miss the point, where a nut fits in, but no covering layer on top already. Especially in tight designs this might be just two layers where it's possible...
And: Pressing pause doesn't stop immediately, my printer does a lot of lines more after.
Perfect would be a pause command, what triggers a buzzer, and it continues after pressing a button on your printer or in pronterface :-)
July 23, 2012 09:46PM
I'm not sure, but I don't think M00 or M01 have been entered in any of the firmwares yet. When a CNC control sees M00 it stops, and waits for the operator, andM01 lets the operator turn a switch on to only stop on M01's. If there was an M00 pause and wait Gcode, you could find the point in your gocde you wanted to do that in, and do a G91 (incremental mode) and Z up and X,Y away, then you do your thing, press the go button and it would return in incremental mode back to where you drove it away from and G92 the extruder (usually happens at layer changes anyways) and you're good to go!
July 23, 2012 10:52PM
That's exactly what I was looking for! smiling bouncing smiley smileys with beer
Is this implemented already?
July 24, 2012 04:56AM

I'm not sure, but I don't think M00 or M01 have been entered in any of the firmwares yet.

They do, but with different ideas on what should happen. I'd vote for the approach given in the (milling) G-code standard, too and will happily accept patches for Teacup firmware.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login