Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

VisPrinter: A new Web Interface based on pronsole

Posted by dronus 
VisPrinter: A new Web Interface based on pronsole
September 17, 2012 11:41AM
(Sorry for posting again, fits well better here)

VisPrinter is a early experimental web interface on top of pronsole replacing Pronterface.

It is meant to provide a full UI for a RepRap machine to any browser. So anyone in a workshop can print from its own desktop without having to install the Printrun/Slic3r toolchain and serial drivers.

It can be downloaded here: [github.com]
README: [github.com]

Benefits:
- Print .stl files from any desktop over the net
- Can be served by a small embedded PC or router attached to the printer

Future benefits
- Slice on remote machines

There are many things missing for now, but it has already printed. This is in experimental state, so please report errors but not missing functions.

Feedback appreciated..

Attachments:
open | download - VisPrinter.jpg (51.5 KB)
Re: VisPrinter: A new Web Interface based on pronsole
September 18, 2012 12:30PM
Interesting project!

Would it be possible to provide streaming video support as well so the physical printer can be monitored via the web browser?

-Rob A>
October 12, 2012 08:07AM
Adding video depends on the PC used as server.

The RaspberryPi would need an elaborate software stack to do video compression by hardware, otherwise it would be to slow.

However, if a full fledged compact linux PC would be added to the printer, it would be no problem to attach a webcam, run VLC or some other tool to provide a http stream of it and embed it as HTML5 or Flash video to the HTML interface. The stream setup could be run by usual startup scripts for now, there is no need to integrate it in VisPrinter at this stage, maybe that could be done later if there is a simple setup for VisPrinter that allows anyone to install it by a few clicks.
This is amazing! I can't wait to set this up in the maker space. What a boon to multi.user printers!
Please do not integrate video. I already have ip cams setup.
March 07, 2013 05:27PM
Um, asking not to integrate a feature because (only) you don't need it?
Hey everyone, let's stop developing cars because I don't need one!

Ok, on a more serious note:
Having seen the interface during earlier development, I really liked the 3D view of the GCode file which sets it apart from Octoprint. Despite the amount of GCode lines, movement in 3D space was rather smooth.
Maybe you should elaborate a little bit more on this feature because I think it is of great interest to most printer operators since it gives good visual cues on possible defects in the output file.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login