Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New easy to build hot-end

Posted by north90ty 
New easy to build hot-end
November 13, 2011 09:39PM
Hi,
After building and rebuilding quite a few printers, i also wanted to build my own hot-end. I have been using the compact hybrid groovemount from Makergear and i like the compact and simple design.
As i don't have a cnc-machine, lathe or drill-press and my engineering skills are not so good, current working designs are impossible to make. I really liked the current designs for (all) metal hot-ends all steel hot end for makerbot and no-PTFE brass hot-end by Peter
but for me they didn't work well (i dont like the fan that is needed either)

So i set off building my own version:
see: North90's easy to build hot-end

I am really happy with the design so far, it works great, no fan is needed either.
Now of course i would like to hear some of your opinions.

Frank Krijnen
Re: New easy to build hot-end
November 14, 2011 02:01AM
I like how it looks, just 2 observations:
- i never have been able to find ptfe lining like that, i think its used in MIG / TIG welders as wire channeling, not sure, and i guess i my sourcing skills are low - give some tips / areas / domains where one could find that;
- the tip from pictures looks like just copper to me - isnt "brass" the name of the alloy that is yellow-ish?
November 14, 2011 04:29AM
Wow! Great idea, excellent documentation.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

November 14, 2011 09:22AM
@Noobman:
I found this teflon as tubing that is used in science. In laboratories they often use teflon because of it chemical resistance. So i just used some scrap pieces that where laying around. I found a source for ptfe tubing where they sell 50ft (16m) for 34$US. See here: [www.store.cleanair.com]
If sourcing smaller quantities is a problem i could buy a batch and sell it through in smaller quantities.

You are right about the brass versus copper, probably the welding tips are copper winking smiley
November 15, 2011 12:13AM
I added a way to reduce the nozzle size of a welding tip: insert a piece of an injection needle into the welding tip!
These needles are easy to find on ebay: search for "dispensing needle 22ga".
see: http://reprap.org/wiki/North90%27s_hot-end#Needle_insert_into_the_welding_tip
Frank
December 13, 2011 11:49PM
Uploaded version 2 of the easy to build hot-end. Please feel free to comment/add etc.
see: [www.reprap.org]
Frank
December 14, 2011 08:46PM
I'm currently running your version 1.0 at 40mm/s. My original ptfe end failed at 30mm/s. I bought all the parts on mcmaster carr website. Cost about $40 for enough to make 7 of them.
January 13, 2012 01:19AM
Is your hot-end still going strong jkomp316?
I hope some big producers will use (parts of) this design to produce cheaper and more reliable hot-ends for everybody to buy.
I printed a few kg of abs with one V2 hot-end, so it seems pretty good on the long term.
January 13, 2012 03:57AM
I'm still using the v1.0 yet. I've had no issues with seeping or feeding. My power resistor/block can't keep up past 40mm/s, but I don't contribute that to your design. I think I need more threads on the tip.
January 18, 2012 01:34PM
Whats the completed project cost for this hot-end vs. the completed project cost for other hot-ends?
January 18, 2012 09:58PM
Costs totally depend on your sources. It will be hard to buy parts for just 1 or 2 hot-ends.
- the stainless steel on ebay for 10$ incl shipping (enough for at least 20 hotends)
- teflon tube can be found on ebay, but i now have a local source (count on $20)
- syringe needles on ebay (5$)
- welding tips (16$ at home-depot for 15pieces?)
- aluminum for the mount (scraps of local metal supplier)
- thermistor and resistors at any Reprap source for about 5$.

Depending on your mechanical skills you should count on building 2-3 before you are super happy.
I ruined 2 by not cleaning them out good enough before starting to print.
January 18, 2012 10:33PM
I ordered everything from mcmaster carr for about $40. Was enough for 7 of them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login