Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

what to look for in a stepper motor

Posted by renowijoyo 
what to look for in a stepper motor
July 18, 2013 10:31PM
Im browsing local online store for stepper motor and found several differing specs (not sure if they're NEMA).
pricing aside, what should I look for when purchasing a stepper motor? high torque? finer stepping degree?
I did find a 0.9 degree/step (normal reprap steppers are 1.8 if I'm not mistaken). is there any benefit in smaller stepping degree?

RW
Re: what to look for in a stepper motor
July 19, 2013 04:51AM
Hi
Id be interested to know which online local store you have found ? Please post a link

You are correct that most stepper motors are 1.8 degree motors . 0.9 would in principle give you a finer resolution of course but i have yet to see a significant difference in model quality.
Most importantly you will definitely need to check that your intended control board will support 0.9 steps otherwise you may be wasting your money.

The main thing to check for with stepper motors is the voltage/ amperage ..again to suit your intended driver board. Dont forget that the motors use power even when they are not moving ( holding torque)

Good luck
July 19, 2013 05:01AM
[digi-ware.com]

do a keyword: "stepper" search.
July 19, 2013 09:13PM
The driver for both 1.8 and 0.9 are the same. 0.9 deg stepper gives higher resolution, only price is higher.
stepper are drive by pulse from controller, so in 0.9 deg stepper will need 2x pulse control etc. (there are some more detail requirement....)

SW
August 08, 2013 11:02AM
Where can I get the motor locally?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2013 11:10AM by boonkuey.
August 09, 2013 12:06AM
romscraj.com have them of course

I was recently at SLT and had a good look round but couldn't find any there.

If you do find them please be sure to post the info here

Cheers
August 13, 2013 03:48AM
Hi bigfilsing,

recently was at kaichin level 3. They do have some stepper motors. Not sure if new or used/refurbished though.
August 19, 2013 03:39AM
Those at lvl 3kaichin are used. I have a few new, PM me if you need.

Cheers,
SW
August 22, 2013 12:32AM
I got some spare new stepper moters.

Regards,
Simon Sim
August 29, 2013 01:53PM
recently I just bought some trinamic motors. Looking forward to getting them and testing out. Should be receiving them in a few days time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login