Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone doing 3D printing R & D in Singapore

Posted by simbo 
Anyone doing 3D printing R & D in Singapore
January 11, 2013 07:45PM
hi,

Just checking if anyone into 3D printing R & D in Singapore. I'm am thinking of multi-material or maybe metal 3D printing. As this technology is still relatively unexploit, just like the early days of IT, I am interested in where it will go and what we can do to shape it.

Regards,
Simon Sim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2013 07:51PM by simbo.
Re: Anyone doing 3D printing R & D in Singapore
January 13, 2013 01:56AM
Just to share some info, most of us here work with plastic (ABS, PLA etc).
I have spoken to a staff/lecture for NTU. They are doing metal stuff.

Cheers,
SW
January 14, 2013 04:48AM
hi,

Yes, I know. For metal, mostly are SLS machines. I am looking towards private R&D, as compared to school or A*Star.

Anyway, just checking out the local 3D printing R&D situation as I most likely going to have some fun, once I got my machine set up.

For those interested in doing R&D into 3D printing, maybe we can fix a time to chill out. grinning smiley

For others, if anyone want to setup a meetup, I have the space to do so. do let me know.

I am open to internship for students into 3D printing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2013 08:38AM by simbo.
January 16, 2013 02:52AM
Hi,

You looking at trying to do SLS for metal? AFAIK, there are already commercial machines doing this.

I'm from SG and doing some of my own 3D printer design (FDM and DLP based). Admittedly just for fun. How are you looking this R&D project? For large commercial prints? Hobbyist?
January 16, 2013 10:11AM
Personally, I am hoping to devlop my own SLS machines, multi material and large format 3D printers for commercial printing. Being new in this technology, I am only starting to explore.

I got some ideas on commercial applications of this technology and is working on the details.

Do pm me if you are keen on chilling out.

Regards,
Simon Sim
January 16, 2013 11:03AM
OK, do you mind sharing your background? I'm a software engineer but pretty deft with mechanical and electronics stuff.

SLS and multi-material printers are totally different in technology and discipline. I don't know if you have any hands on experience with those?

Multi-material printing involves a lot more chemistry than anything else. SLS, I presume laser control and getting the right powder material is key.

Commercial applications is definitely endless. But getting there is a huge step, not saying its impossible. Also, 3D printing technology is heavily patented. It will be like threading a minefield.
January 16, 2013 10:28PM
Thanks for the warning. I will keep that in mind.

I was an IT guy too. I did PC repair, system support, software, Linux OS kenel hacking, Network security but got bored.

Currently, I runs a corporate services firm providing accounting, corporate compliance & tax..

Totally no knowledge in 3D printing & no formal training in electronics, just starting. Same as I did some 20 years ago in IT, without even a diploma.

From what you have told me, it seems FUN!!! grinning smiley
January 16, 2013 10:40PM
Hi simbo,

Do you want to meetup next Tuesday evening after 7pm. Propose to meet at your place/office if it is ok.
Those who are keen may want to join in.

SW
January 16, 2013 11:07PM
I'm all for doing it for fun. Which is what I'm mostly doing now. Just intrigued by your topic as you seem to want to do serious R&D for seriously difficult to solve issues.

I thought you had some plans or expertise or tons of money. winking smiley

I think to make any discussion useful, you'd probably need to read up more first? Or maybe have an agenda. Else it'd be a waste of time. Just guys talking cock.

My 2 cents.
January 17, 2013 01:22AM
Soon Wei, Sure. My office address is : 5001 Beach Road #08-08 Golden Mile Complex. Singapore 199588. See you next Tuesday (22/01/2013) 7pm. All are welcome. grinning smiley

Pazu, seriousely, will you let the cat out of the bag in an open forum? Btw, I do not have enough time to waste!

For your thoughts, its kind of yes, kind of yes & kind of yes.

Hope this clear up some doubts. smiling smiley.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2013 01:25AM by simbo.
January 21, 2013 02:54AM
Can I have a rough idea of who coming for tomorrow night's meetup? Thanks.
January 21, 2013 08:24PM
I be there.
1. simbo
2. Lim Soon Wei

SW

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2013 08:25PM by Soon Wei.
January 22, 2013 09:32AM
It was great to meetup with Soon Wei, learnt alot from him. Thanks.

I will be having another meetup session at my office next month & hopefully I can get my printer assembled by then.

Regards,
Simon Sim
January 22, 2013 09:27PM
Same for me. Good to know 1 more person interested in 3D printing.

Cheers,
SW
Re:Metal 3D Printing
January 24, 2013 10:36PM
simbo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hi,
>
> Yes, I know. For metal, mostly are SLS machines. I
> am looking towards private R&D, as compared to
> school or A*Star.
>
> Anyway, just checking out the local 3D printing
> R&D situation as I most likely going to have some
> fun, once I got my machine set up.
>
> For those interested in doing R&D into 3D
> printing, maybe we can fix a time to chill out.
> grinning smiley
>
> For others, if anyone want to setup a meetup, I
> have the space to do so. do let me know.
>
> I am open to internship for students into 3D
> printing.
April 17, 2013 09:49PM
Hi Soon Wei and all,

I'm new to this 3D printing world; just bought a printer from kickstarter and awaiting its delivery in May.
I've read up quite abit about 3D printing, but thought it'll be really great if I can connect with you guys too to pick your minds on what to expect and what's coming up in this field in general.
Any chance you guys are meeting again?
Cheers!
April 19, 2013 01:57AM
25 Apr at Romscraj.
Dear Guys,
i am interested in learning of 3D printers, technologies.
hope can join with you guys if you have meetup session in future?
do let me know if there is meetup session and where.
email me at senthil24101977@gmail.com
April 27, 2013 12:03AM
I'd love to meetup, and work togeather with 3d printer people.
I'm building a kossel (Which is a moving target).
I've got a Rumba, programmed, and working already, and have ordered my extruders already.
Love to get some help, and share, with Kossel going to belt drive, (I didnt like the fishing line design),
I think it getting simpler, and looks better.

Once I get basic Kossel working, I want to see if I can do a multi-material extruder, having a "Sacrficial"
layer (PVA based), would be nice, items that have voids become easier, and since there is now filiment
that conductive, it starts opening up building "wiring" into items. (Plastic Electronics).

Im also interested in looking at large format (Room size) multi-head multi material printers.
I've been looking at large format linear motion screw drives (Faster and more percise than belt drive),
that could be used in multiples. (I come from a product design background), as well as "inverting" Kossels
to allow for multiple working togeather. This would allow a "array" or "cloud" printer, allowing the printing of large
items at fast speeds.
June 05, 2013 06:15AM
glennwest, how is your kossel coming along? I think I recall seeing you talking about it sometime in the delta robots google group. I have just started ordering parts for a kossel as well! It's nice to see that there is an active community in SIngapore!

It would be cool to be able to open source an SLS metal/anything other than plastic machine. SLS seems to be industry standard for making commercially viable products (jewelry, wearables, etc) and it is a worthy, game changing goal. Arguably more so when you consider the base limitations of FDM/SLA printers.

glennswest
"Im also interested in looking at large format (Room size) multi-head multi material printers.
I've been looking at large format linear motion screw drives (Faster and more percise than belt drive),
that could be used in multiples. (I come from a product design background), as well as "inverting" Kossels
to allow for multiple working togeather. This would allow a "array" or "cloud" printer, allowing the printing of large
items at fast speeds."

That is a certainly a rather "brute force" method of adding more heads at segmented build areas to print one large object. Imagine the amount of calibration that needs to be done! I woke up today to fun idea of a delta design with a rotating build plate, bigger than the print area of the hotend. Thus, the rotating build plate will rotate. One of the three extrusions would have to be altered to accomodate the center of the printable area and a new element of calibration will be accounted for.

But from a prima facie point of view it seems like a simple, doable concept I will be looking into in the future.
June 05, 2013 08:47AM
For those looking forward to large format, muilt head/material & SLS machines, your wish may be just around the corner. Hope can get it done before end of this year. grinning smiley
June 05, 2013 08:57AM
Any sneak peeks?

simbo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For those looking forward to large format, muilt
> head/material & SLS machines, your wish may be
> just around the corner. Hope can get it done
> before end of this year. grinning smiley
Hey all, just stumbled upon this thread. I'm currently an intern/management trainee for a company based out of the US that deals heavily in 3D metal printing. I urge you to check out the website, it isn't fully functional as of yet but you can get an idea of what we do. I will actually be in Singapore from mid august-october. I am hoping to expand the Asia market, especially singapore and am looking for any signs of itnerest in 3D printing. We recently came out with a more 'affordable' machine that will mainly serve the purpose for university R&D and for small businesses that need to do smaller tasks. It sells for about $300K USD...considerably less than our industrial strength machines that go for $1.5-$2 MILL USD.

Please check out our website, www.efesto.us

If anyone has any interest in getting in touch with me, let me know. I will be happy to answer any questions you may have
September 17, 2013 11:40PM
Hi Guys,

I am in the process of developing a very large format printer. Mainly using PLA and ABS Filament Printing size is about 600x300x300.

I am interested in meeting up and discussing ideas.

PM me for my details, if you are interested.

Regards
Steve K K
QwikFab
September 18, 2013 07:21AM
hi Steve,

600mmx300mmx300mm or 600cmx300cmx300cm?

Regards,
Simon Sim
September 19, 2013 12:37AM
Hi Simon,

in mm. There is a lot of issues when it comes to doing it in meters.Also precision accuracy reduces as you go beyond 1 meter. Also the heating platform would require a lot of power. Well, for now I would be using 600mmx300mmx300mm but once the machine kicks off, It would be easier to expand the length or width.

Just to get to this size involves quite a lot of research and self funding. For example, we have been working with some manufacturers to design our own heater board. That would be able to heat up fast within 2 minutes for a 300mmx300mm platform below 200 watts power usage and 24 volts. This would allow the board to be hooked up to any board that supports 24 volts. We also tied up with a vendor for precision rails that can provide precise accuracy of at least 0.03mm per 300mm distance travelled. There are more features we are putting into the prototype, which is still in design stage.

Are you looking at a much bigger machine?

Regards
Steve K K
September 19, 2013 03:05AM
hi,

I also R&D large format printer, except it is at least 600mmX600mmX600mm, if not bigger. All the best to you.

Regards,
Simon Sim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2013 03:12AM by simbo.
September 19, 2013 03:26AM
Hi Simon,

All the best to you too, maybe one of this days we can meet up and share ideas.

Regards
Steve K K
QwikFab
October 04, 2013 06:32PM
Hi Soon Wei and all,

I'm interested to this 3D printing world ,I am curious in where it will go
thought it'll be really great if I can pick up some knoledge from your guys
Any chance you guys are meeting again?
Cheers!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login