Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Heat Resistant TPU

Posted by Arnold Lane 1000 
Heat Resistant TPU
April 30, 2017 09:25PM
Hi there,

We are alpha testing a heat resistant thermoplastic polyurethane material that we are working on and I thought we would take this forum to share what what has been achieved to date.

The base polymer is capable of withstanding 150 degrees c for 3000 + hours, however we would like to see whats capable with 3 d printed items.

The following video displays a few tests conducted so far.

Heat resistant TPU video

If you have an item an idea or feedback to test this polymer please PM or post an stl. and we will see what can be achieved.

or check out my hub @ www.3dhubs.com
3 D flex's hub

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2017 11:04PM by Arnold Lane 1000.
Re: Heat Resistant TPU
May 17, 2017 06:44AM
Hi,

I have a couple of questions. We are looking for a material solution to create 3D printed molds. These molds will be used to create models made with ballistic gel. Ballistic gel melts at around 140 C and has to be held at this temperature for 4 hours for the elimination of trapped air bubbles.Can your TPU material resist this treatment? What is the hardness of the material (it can be difficult to print supports with flexible materials if they are too soft, as the supports start to wobble on higher layers)? Do you have any idea about printing parameters (hotend and bed temperature)?

Thanks
VDX
May 17, 2017 02:30PM
... you can use high-temperature moulding 2K-silicone - made some moulds from milled parts some years ago ... the moulds can withstand temperatures of 350 degC continuous and 450 degC for short time exposure winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
June 13, 2017 06:20PM
Sorry for delay in response to your questions, I have been busy with continued development.

As far as preliminary test would indicate the material can easily withstand 140 degrees c for four + hours, I have placed a printed item in a conventional oven at this temp for four hours with no issues, item remains unchanged, however please understand this is still alpha testing.

The shore hardness is presently 85A although we are working on supplying both harder and softer grades.

As far as support, we are currently trialing PVA which is proving successful as it supports but does not adhere to the TPU and can be dissolved away, however if item can be designed without support that is always preferable. A recent job which we can disclose was for a 'blow out bulb', in which we successfully printed thin walled curved surfaces of a sphere (which wobble very badly and 'lip up'), This item had to be air and water tight under pressure and hold heated water, the project was successful.

Blow Out Bulb

As far as printing parameters - It is as for most common polymer materials, hot end 210-230, heat bed 60, this is amazing material as while it can withstand 150 degrees it flows at +200.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2017 09:08PM by Arnold Lane 1000.
June 17, 2017 09:28AM
Impressive. Will we be able to try it out sometimes in the near future?
June 17, 2017 07:23PM
Hi dr

Happy to send a small sample for you to test and evaluate (say 10 - 20 meters ??).

Do you have a suitable extruder mechanism? It is flexible material (however it is easier to print with than say ninja flex of the same durometer) the filament has a diameter of approximately 2.85 mm (+ / - a bit as we are still playing with initial extrusion parameters and composition to tighten the specs).

The plan is launch a crowd funding campaign if interest keeps growing and then we will be able to supply 1.75 and 3 mm filament.

If interested PM your details.

Alternatively if you would like to order completed parts the easiest may be check out my hub.
3d Flex's hub

Arnold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2017 10:36PM by Arnold Lane 1000.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login