Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Plastic Cooking at home (a path to PLA )

Posted by barreiras 
Plastic Cooking at home (a path to PLA )
April 12, 2010 07:11AM
After some investigation i've done a home cooked PLA attempt, unfortunately the results were not the expected, the photos below show when the mixture was put to drie and 10 days later, almost dry.

As you can see the second piece is broken, to check their resistance eventually rip.

I was waiting to get a harder plastic but it was obtained a slightly flexible plastic and brittle

I used a recipe given to mold injection consisting of

8 parts water
1 part vinegar
1 part glycerin
3 / 2 parts of starch

As the starch defines the hardness of plastic and i used corn starch (flour cornstarch) i believe that this was the reason for not obtaining a more rigid plastic, already have some mashed potatoes for potato starch to experiment.

With these samples i'll try to melt them again and see if their characteristics are altered

Now i'm going to be more focused on the design of a wind generator so it may take a while to bring news. As soon as i have more results i will came here to put them

if you whant to experiment use the video that inspired me [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2010 07:40AM by barreiras.

Ricardo dos Santos @ barreiras.com.pt
Re: Plastic Cooking at home (a path to PLA )
April 12, 2010 08:02AM
by the way, if some one knows the name of this tipe os plastic, please identify it somo of the possibilities are:

Polyglycolic acid (PGA)
Zein
Polyhydroxybutyrate (PHcool smiley
Polycaprolactone (PCL)
Plastarch Material (PSM)

my votes go to the first and the last ones, more research is neaded.
April 12, 2010 11:28AM
Yes it would be good to know what plastic this is so we can look up the properties. Is it a thermoplastic, what temperature does it melt at, does it have a glass transition, what solvents dissolve it?

Even if it is no good for building objects it might be useful as support material.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
May 31, 2011 04:38PM
It's been a little over a year since the last post. Does have more information on this home made plastic?

I've searched the internet, but cannot find a mechanical processor.
May 31, 2011 04:48PM
Hi Marcus, this experiment was a failure, this recepie makes a hard material, but we cant call it a plastic, and it is not thermal, it could be used in mold injection for some needs but in my case after getting cold it shrinked
Guido
December 12, 2011 01:06PM
PSM seems like the only viable material. Any luck trying to synthesize that? Have you found the recipe?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login