Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Looks like bucktown went WAY up in prices, any other sources?

Posted by neuroclast 
Looks like bucktown went WAY up in prices, any other sources?
February 22, 2013 05:08PM
Bucktown used to have their normal UV resin for $160 shipped, now it is $220 shipped. Is there another source for resin that is cheaper than this?
Re: Looks like bucktown went WAY up in prices, any other sources?
February 28, 2013 09:14AM
You can try a source in Kansa City, http://www.buy3dink.com/. I buy my filament from him and he's always had good prices. I think he is selling 1L resin for $75. Not sure how that compares as I don't know what volume you were buying from Bucktown. If you have any questions, shoot him an email as he is pretty responsive. Hope this helps.
February 28, 2013 08:09PM
Bucktown Polymers makes hundreds of different formulas. The older UV polyester is still available at the same price. The UV versions will cure in the UV spectrum up to only ~390nm.

The newly listed photopolymers are more DIY friendly, since they are easier to use. Low to no odor, low viscosity and cure in the UV and the visible spectrum up to ~440nm. [bucktownpolymers.com]
March 02, 2013 07:40PM
I'm not sure if you work there or not, but if so you should let someone know you can't find these other resins on their site to buy. The site lists two different pages (UV and Visible light), which both link to the exact same thing, and the exact same products.

And the cheapest product on the site is PS100-V420, which is $200 + shipping.
March 03, 2013 11:15AM
What did they say when you emailed them to ask about the UV resin?
March 05, 2013 08:47AM
They show this as a "Low Odor" polyester resin. If it's anything like the "low odor" polyester products I have worked with before good luck trying to stay in the same room with it. "Low Odor" is truly a relative measure - the stuff will kill you.

Also as I understand it polyester resin shrinks around 7-9% when cured. Way too much to actually be usable for this process in my opinion.

The shrinkage factor is the one thing I wish all these guys would publish. Just make a silicone mold with a 1" diameter maybe 1/8" deep cavity. Cure all the resins and then measure the post cure size. This won't always reflect real world performance but it will give a relative measure and a way to compare them.
March 14, 2013 11:13PM
Polyester resin may be made to shrink or even expand when cured. The range may be -15% to +5%. It depends on the formula.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login