Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ST32 based solution

Posted by parasole 
ST32 based solution
August 09, 2016 04:39PM
Hi there,

Not sure if this was not already posted, any one know about STM solution for 3D printers? Looks like they did quite a good job in adapting Marlin for their F4x series, and even their evaluation board is not that expensive considering the capabilities they deploy on this board...

[www.st.com]

[github.com]

Key features & Benefits
• Adaptable to any 3D printer mechanics
• Based on open-source Marlin firmware
running on STM32
• Driving up to 6 axes (3 extruders) with
programmable motor currents via firmware
• Controllable by portable devices thanks to
embedded Wi-Fi module
• Controlling up to 3 hot ends and 3 fans
• Supports up to 3 heated beds
• Easy firmware customization thanks
to embedded debugging tool and
OpenSTM32 environment
• USB and microSD peripheral support

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2016 05:16PM by parasole.
Re: ST32 based solution
August 10, 2016 08:07AM
Interesting, no one expressed his opinion :-)

I did not find yet how to attach the pictures beside the url, just click to the links below for more information...

[www.st.com]

[www.st.com]
[www.st.com]
[www.st.com]
[www.st.com]
[www.st.com]

I do have couple of ST32F4xx development boards, will try them some where in the autumn, after building my printer :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2016 08:09AM by parasole.
Attachments:
open | download - en.DM00282409.pdf (499.9 KB)
open | download - en.DM00287597.pdf (224.3 KB)
August 10, 2016 12:19PM
I looked at the specs for that board a while ago, because it looked like a potential competitor to the Duet WiiFi. However, it lacks some key features:

* Stepper drivers that do more than 16x microstepping
* 24V compatibility
* Firmware that makes good use of the processor power, providing features such as accurate stepper pulse timing including during acceleration, segmentation-free delta motion, and least-squares delta auto calibration

Also they don't say what web interface it has, if indeed there is one. AFAIK there isn't a web interface for any Marlin variant yet - please correct me if I am wrong.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2016 06:55AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 10, 2016 03:58PM
If taking the board as is then yes, you stick to what it already have... 12V for steppers and 24 for Bed...
Drivers are 16x only but with 3A rms and 7A peak, current control with adaptive decay, just check the data sheet for L6474...

However the most interesting for me is the firmware, first of all one more port to ARM M4 32 bit processor which is not expensive, and second, they did add web server with the following pages (from firmware manual):
 axisctrl.shtml (see Figure 14: "axisctrl.shtml web page")
 command.shtml (see Figure 15: "command.shtml web page")
 heatctrl.shtml (see Figure 16: "heatctrl.shtml web page")
 extructrl.shtml (see Figure 17: "extructrl.shtml web page")
 filemgt.shtml (see Figure 18: "filemgt.shtml web page")
 wifictrl.html (see Figure 19: "wifictrl.html web page")

So, it is based on Marlin as core code for printing itself with added functionality which is very good add on.
Why this board? This is ST demo board, obviously they used ST processor as well as all other components, so we could not talk about any other boards in case if semiconductor manufacturer decided to do it...

I do plan to try it on Nucleo board with F411 just because I have it and which cost about 12 euro, then simple RAMPS like board with all the necessary interfaces and power supply, blindly copying their design solutions and with the use of their components too, after all ST did this to boost the sale of their components :-)

ST also have F401 based Nucleo board which cost the same, about 12 euro:

[www.st.com]
August 10, 2016 06:15PM
Yes the drivers can handle a lot of current... but that is totally wasted if you can't provide more than 12V to the stepper drivers, because motors large enough to need more than 2A need more than 12V too. Even Nema 17 motors need more than 12V on some machines in order to achieve high travel speeds without loss of torque. Only small 3D printers use 12V power these days.

It's nice that it has 6 stepper drivers on board - perfect for driving a Diamond hot end, although it and the multiple bed heater support does make the board rather large, judging by the images.

It is interesting to see a major microcontroller manufacturer trying to get into the 3D printer market, with a competitively priced board. As they are new to the field, I guess we can't expect them to get everything right first time. To be fair to them, it's probably intended as a reference design rather than as a board to sell in large numbers.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2016 03:53AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 11, 2016 12:45PM
In my opinion the value of this board is ported firmware to ST32 with added wireless functionality, every thing else is not that much important, all stock...

This is evaluation board, i.e. reference design and being reference the cost is very competitive as I stated in my first post... That means any one wanted to use ST32 based controller as myself have a drop in solution. For the ones who are interested in this board as platform, it is very easy to adapt original schematic for 24V and produce a very price competitive controller, especially if instead of soldering the steppers drivers have just sockets for them, again RAMPS like, then any one may use any drivers they like...
VDX
August 11, 2016 01:58PM
... I'm using STM32F4Discovery boards with proprietary firmware and software for laser engraving, CNC-milling and as a sort of XY-servo-laserscanner.

And developing pastedispensing and laserengraving based on Marlin4Due and a heavy modified Pronterface - could be interesting, to have a different option to the ArduinoDue controller winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
August 12, 2016 04:52AM
VDX
... I'm using STM32F4Discovery boards with proprietary firmware and software for laser engraving, CNC-milling and as a sort of XY-servo-laserscanner.

That is interesting, any chance to share the project or you want to use it commercially?
VDX
August 12, 2016 03:51PM
... the firmware and CNC-software is Editasc10 from Trimeta - [www.editasc.com]

I've used it in the last 4 years for developing lasercutting/-engraving applications and helped the developer to remove some "quirks" in the software -- and have good contacts to them.

But it's actually "another world", not really connected to RepRap or the DIY scene ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
August 13, 2016 03:34AM
I've made a port of Teacup to a Nucleo F411RE. This works currently very nice. The Nucleo has the same Header as the Arduino Uno. So for a first test I took a CNC Shield V3.
This don't have any voltage divider for thermistors or mosfets for heaters, but you can easy drive four steppers. For heaters and thermistors I made a simple breakout-board. All-in-all costs < 25€ (plus stepper drivers maybe from your current project).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2016 03:36AM by Wurstnase.

Triffid Hunter's Calibration Guide --> X <-- Drill for new Monitor Most important Gcode.

August 13, 2016 08:23AM
Wow Wurstnase, very good idea, I have this shield, the intention was to modify it for Due and use in a small cnc mill, but using with Nucleo is perfect, good side of ST32 being 5v tolerant...

Did you post your port somewhere (github)? I would be interested to have a look and try it when my printer will be ready...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2016 08:49AM by parasole.
August 13, 2016 09:30AM
parasole
Wow Wurstnase, very good idea, I have this shield, the intention was to modify it for Due and use in a small cnc mill, but using with Nucleo is perfect, good side of ST32 being 5v tolerant...
Are they?

parasole
Did you post your port somewhere (github)? I would be interested to have a look and try it when my printer will be ready...
Sure. [github.com]
Anything should work. But not tested on a real printer.

Triffid Hunter's Calibration Guide --> X <-- Drill for new Monitor Most important Gcode.
August 13, 2016 11:03AM
Wurstnase
Are they?

Yes, you have to look to the particular CPU datasheet instead of Nucleo board which might be incorrect about this....

Datasheet on first page tell us " Up to 77 5 V-tolerant I/Os", then note 4 after table 8 for pins definition explains about FT pins, FT = 5 V tolerant except when in analog mode or oscillator mode (for PC14, PC15, PH0 and PH1).
[www.st.com]

Check reference manual on page 143 for FT pin internal structure:
www.st.com/resource/en/reference_manual/dm00119316.pdf

Important to mention that they are 5V tolernat only as digital I/O, not when configured as analog input.

Wurstnase
Sure. [github.com]
Anything should work. But not tested on a real printer.

Thanks!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2016 11:04AM by parasole.
August 13, 2016 01:00PM
While porting I've read a lot in the papers, but I've been never interested in 5V tolerant smiling smiley
Current port is only the F411RE. Maybe later the 446 with little more power.

August 13, 2016 01:23PM
I believe this is a good path, ST32 line have a lot of potention while being affordable and price competitive for mass market... And Nucleo boards are definitely "arduino" in ARM world :-)
August 14, 2016 05:11AM
Wurstnase
I've been never interested in 5V tolerant

Operating the PS_ON pin of an ATX power supply is an example which requires 5-V-tolerance.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

August 14, 2016 09:12AM
Just read something about open collector. This could be also a very interesting thing when using mosfets, because it can power any normal LL mosfet with 4.5V+. Nice! No mosfet driver or similar.

Thanks for pointing!

August 26, 2016 10:25PM
if you can make your own DIY pcbs, try search the reprap wiki for "RDB", it can be paired with any development board, just use breadboard wiring between boards (no form factor)
August 28, 2016 01:57AM
Thanks for the hint. Currently I'm using a CNC Shield V3. Only for the heaters and fans I need an extra breakout. I will check the circuits.

December 25, 2017 01:59AM
Would this also work on a NUCLEO-F767ZI board?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login