Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Amplifying signal from controller to multiple stepper drivers

Posted by PropellerHat 
Amplifying signal from controller to multiple stepper drivers
July 14, 2015 01:31PM
Hello! I have a problem with my printer that has several extruders. I have simply shared the step and direction signals of the extruder output for several easydrivers to control the steppers of the extruders, but the direction signal is too weak for all of them. Shouldn't this be easy to solve with some added circuitry to boost the signal level? I have had the same problem with two different controller boards, RAMPS and 3Drag.

I read the direction is controlled by a continuous voltage instead of square wave. The steppers do turn nicely but so the step signal's square wave has sufficient power but direction signal needs some kind of transistor setup, I suppose. How to do this most simply? Would a step up converter help? If I try to source a step up converter that has a significant but not too high boost for not damaging the drivers when there is only 1 or 2 drivers running?

Thanks!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2015 02:52AM by PropellerHat.
Re: Amplifying signal from controller to multiple stepper drivers
August 09, 2015 08:41AM
Let me guess: you use Marlin, which turns on the Step signal only for a clock cycle or two.

Simply let it on a bit longer, a few more clock cycles. It's won't matter if your steppers are a tenth of a microsecond "late", as long as they don't miss a step. Teacup firmware distributes the step signal reasonably: [github.com]

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login