Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SainSmart Melzi

Posted by WOOK111 
SainSmart Melzi
May 09, 2014 12:24PM
I have just recieved my sainsmart melzi board. i have yet to connect it to ANYTHING ie. stepper motors/hot end/heated bed

i have however

Switched the jumper to usb
attached the cable

i had also got usb drivers which recognize it as a com port now.

however my led flashes at a consistent rate is this normal?

also when following the steps mentioned in the mendel pdf it says to use arduino 1.0.5 included. i have done that i have all the files and have got to the part where i assume i upload firmware to it ( pardon if i am using the incorrect term) it included me opening marlin.ino

which i did. also to set the board type to melzi 1/atmega 1284p

now i get this error in orange when i click the upload button

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

What is going on here do the steppers etc need to be connected?

i have the correct comport setting and the light even momentarily goes off during this sequence almost like it gets a request and interupts the light im puzzled
Re: SainSmart Melzi
May 09, 2014 01:13PM
That error means you are not connecting to the board, this link covers what you need in addition to upload the firmware - [reprap.org]
May 09, 2014 01:25PM
That was the set of instructions i was following. also. the reprappro website has changed significantly apparently as the links posted in many of the reprap pages only lead to the homepage now
May 09, 2014 03:32PM
Did you select the board in the Arduino IDE?
May 09, 2014 05:46PM
yes i have and still nothing =/ this is my first time diving into the world of 3d printing. and so far its pretty discouraging
May 11, 2014 08:59AM
I'm not familiar with the Melzi, but am wondering if there is a jumper on the board that prevents the firmware from being overwritten in a production device that you need to change so that you can flash it?????
July 26, 2014 12:08PM
Did you ever figure this out. I've been having the same problem with no luck.
July 26, 2014 01:31PM
mit Smith
Did you ever figure this out. I've been having the same problem with no luck.

Yes I forced a partial PayPal refund on sainsmart. The board doesn't have a bootloader installed which means it will never communicate with usb.

It at this pint will only communicate via isp device. Sainsmart is a pain to deal with for refunds. Just force PayPal on them. And hopefully get a large partial.

Because they describe the item as having a bootloader. And it arrives without one. That means it arrived not as described. PayPal will do their best as it's part of their buyer protection

On another note after I burned a bootloader onto it 2 of the axis didn't work. So it was pretty dead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2014 02:44PM by WOOK111.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login