Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

USB-B board and serial header 1.4.1

Posted by terramir 
USB-B board and serial header 1.4.1
June 02, 2013 08:05PM
Now the extension headers in 1.4.1 is being used by the usb-b module, but what if you want to use this extension header for something else,
like for example a lcd and sd card reader?
now you could make a board in-between that breaks out the lcd and serial stuff or you could wire a connector to the USB-B board that connects it to the serial header.
Just one catch the usb-b is powered by the electronics and not the serial port on the extension headers. and the 5V+ on the serial header is connected to nada!
Now there are two options I can think of and I'm trying to figure out the best.
Either take the 5V+ from the usb and connect it to pin that usually connects to 5V on the gen7 electronics like this :

or You could connect 5Vsb to the pin on the serial header, but the catch is that then you might not be able to use a different usb top serial module which you might need to in the future without modding the board. But that would go something like this:

But the question is what would you electronics cracks recommend?
terramir

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2013 08:06PM by terramir.
Re: USB-B board and serial header 1.4.1
June 03, 2013 05:21AM

Just one catch the usb-b is powered by the electronics and not the serial port on the extension headers. and the 5V+ on the serial header is connected to nada!

That's entirely intentional. Changing that would be a mistake.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Re: USB-B board and serial header 1.4.1
June 03, 2013 07:22AM
I need to change one or the other the usb 5V seems like the best option right now instead of the second one so I can still use other serial port chips and not accidently tie the 5V together doing it the way you designed it eliminates the posibillity of using the extension header on a 1.4.1 board for lcd/sd while some might say you won't need the usb thing if your using sd/lcd sometimes it's good to be able to use either or.

and well on gen7 lcd/sd hook-up for headless printing as of yet are seriously half baked. maybe in time someone will publish a decent solution like an i2c lcd and the standard miso mosi sd card hook-up
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login