Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need Help Troubleshooting Gen7 1.4 Board

Posted by Leo94 
Need Help Troubleshooting Gen7 1.4 Board
June 17, 2012 01:40PM
Hey everyone,

I have been having some problems getting my electronics working. Okay, so I have just finished soldering the main board today, everything looks fine but when I connect it to the power supply all that happens is the standby LED faintly flashes. The PSU also makes a very faint clicking sound and the power LED on that also flashes. It seems the problem is not with the PSU because it works fine when I connect it to a computer or just disconnect it from the board. There seems to be no visible damage to any of the components and the soldering looks fine. Anyhow, I proceeded to the 3rd step of the power supply checks and when I shorted the wire bridge with the top right pin of the ATmega socket all that happened was the Standby LED stopped flashing.
Hope someone out there can throw some light on the problem for me.
Thanks in advance.

Leo.
Re: Need Help Troubleshooting Gen7 1.4 Board
June 18, 2012 08:12AM

when I connect it to the power supply all that happens is the standby LED faintly flashes.

Looks like you have a short between 5V Standby and GND or similar and the PSU's overload protection kicks in.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

June 18, 2012 02:21PM
Thanks for your reply.
So I measured the resistance between the stand by LED and ground and I couldn't find any evidence of a short. It just shows 980 ohms which I think right confused smiley. Everything else also seems to be ok to.
Leo.
June 19, 2012 06:11AM
The green 5V LED shouldn't light up with the PSU just connected. I'd start with having the ATX20/24 connected only, all jumpers off, then searching why the green LED gets juice. Requires some patience and re-checking all the findings and assumptions. Usually, the problem is quite visible, still hard to find.

June 19, 2012 07:19AM
A few people have made the mistake of connecting the green power on signal to the grey power good signal. That causes the PSU to oscillate.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
June 19, 2012 08:54AM
nophead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A few people have made the mistake of connecting
> the green power on signal to the grey power good
> signal. That causes the PSU to oscillate.

Yeah I think the PSU is oscillating so I could have made the mistake that your talking about but could elaborate on what you mean by "connecting the green power on signal to the grey power good signal" sorry it's just I'm not super knowledgeable of this kind of stuff.
June 19, 2012 10:03AM
On Gen7 the connections are on the PCB so what I said probably isn't relevant in this case, sorry.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
June 19, 2012 10:25AM
Oh okay then, don't worry about it i'm just going to have to do what Traumflug said then. Thanks anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2012 10:26AM by Leo94.
June 20, 2012 11:29AM
I think I may have found the problem! But I could be wrong. From what I can tell some of the pins of the jumper headers are connected to ground. I'm assuming that's the problem. If so how can I go about fixing it? Because I just cant see how they are connected to ground.

The pins in question.
June 20, 2012 05:00PM
The left pin of the upper jumper header and the right pin of the lower one? These two are both 5V Standby.

To find the problem, take this picture: [reprap.org] , follow the track and watch it very closely. Also the part of the track going through L1. In the worst case, you have to desolder L1, R30, C14 and both wire bridges; then you have the bare track.

June 22, 2012 12:54PM
I desoldered L1 and the problem seems to have been fixed smiling smiley So what do I have to do now? Do I juat need to replace L1?

Thanks for your help by the way.
June 22, 2012 05:03PM
It's unlikely L1 it's self is the culprit. How would a coil manage to short to GND, if defective?

The problem is on the track behind that coil. I'd continue with desoldering the wire bridge below R8. If the problem stays, the short is between L1 and that bridge. If the problem goes away again, the short is behind the bridge.

Make your way along the remaining track, simple strategy. There are a few capacitors on that remaining track which connect to GND. Capacitors can short out if blown, making a wire-bridge equivalent.

June 24, 2012 12:34PM
Yeah that makes sense now I think about it.
Well I did what you said and followed the track and I removed C19 and the problem was still present so I then removed the wire bridge which is further up the track and the problem is still present. I have checked all my soldering and I cant find any problems especially around the area between C19 and the bridge. So from what I can tell there short is some ware between L1 and the bridge and that is with C19 removed. I can't think of what to do next. Any ideas?
June 26, 2012 07:00AM
I'd remove the ATmega and use an ohms meter to see wether there is some connetion to somewhere else /surrounding tracks. If not, well, it's time to consider an ATmega replacement.

June 26, 2012 08:13AM
Do you mean reomve the whole socket for the ATmega??
June 27, 2012 06:24AM
I mean removing the ATmega it's self. The socket shouldn't add any connections.

June 27, 2012 06:45AM
Oh good because that would have been a pain. Anyway I have never even put it in because I can't complete the testing, I don't want to break it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2012 06:50AM by Leo94.
June 28, 2012 06:16AM

Anyway I have never even put it in

No ATmega, yet? Then you have a short on this track between L1 and the bridge below R8.

I mean, from the electronics view you simply add a piece of wire/copper to one of the pins of the ATX20/24 connector. There's no reason adding a piece of wire would change behaviour of anything.

BTW., do you have a load on the 5V rail? Connecting an old CD drive or a 12V lamp between 5V and GND sometimes makes PS PSUs happier.

You could also put a photo of your work here, perhaps we see more than you.

June 29, 2012 07:45PM
Traumflug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I mean, from the electronics view you simply add a
> piece of wire/copper to one of the pins of the
> ATX20/24 connector. There's no reason adding a
> piece of wire would change behaviour of anything.

I'm not sure what you mean. Add it to which pin? and connect it to what? and why? Can you give me a bit more detail please.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2012 07:45PM by Leo94.
July 05, 2012 03:36AM
Hello? Oh by the way someone told me that it could be a board it's self that I cant see. Do you think that may be the case?
July 05, 2012 04:42AM
If you simply can't get it to work, you can send me the board and I'll fix it. Usually I do this for the price of the postage stamp required to send it back.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login