Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

gen 7 firmware upload

Posted by waste 
gen 7 firmware upload
June 03, 2012 05:53AM
Hi, Im using gen7 v1.31 with repetier firmware

but I have I very difficult time uploading new firmware. It can be done at some point after dozens of retrys but I cannot consistently repeat it.

the connection with the board is ok, I can see the messages in the serial monitor alright at 57600baud in arduino .23 (and i can communicate with the machine from repetierhost), but when I press upload and the reset button on the board, I usually get the timeout error.

i tried uploading with atx power, with serial power only but the result is the same. I know that if I try it dozens of times at some point it will upload the new firmware, but as I am on the calibrating phase, Its kind of furstrating.

is it only my boards problem, or is it a general tendency?
Re: gen 7 firmware upload
June 03, 2012 08:35AM
for future reference to other people

while my chip (644@20MHz) according to the
boards.txt has

Gen7-644-20.upload.speed=57600

I had to change that to

Gen7-644-20.upload.speed=115200

in order to get arduino .023 to upload the firmware

the serial monitor still communicates at 57600
and also the repetierHost communicates at the same speed
June 03, 2012 04:42PM
Hi waste, nice you got it working.

Gen7-644-20.upload.speed=57600

I'm wondering where you found this entry. Aren't you using the Gen7 Arduino IDE Support package? For Arduino IDE 1.0, that's the 2.0 version of this package. In general the upload speed depends on the bootloader you're using and can be different from the serial speed the firmware is using.

the serial monitor still communicates at 57600
and also the repetierHost communicates at the same speed

Arduino IDE's serial monitor speed can be changed in the lower right corner of the monitor window. repetierHost has very likely a setting to change that as well, but I'm no repetier expert.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

June 04, 2012 02:26PM
Hi Traumflug,

Im using arduino IDE .023 and I found the boards.txt in one of your files about gen7 board probably smiling smiley

I got the Atmega from you ready with the bootloader, so I dont know exactly which was the right speed, and the chip doesnt really understand anything other than 57600 both in the serial monitor of IDE and of repetier.

So in the beggining 57600 didnt strike me as odd, apart from the great difficulty to upload new firmware smiling smiley
When I changed that to 115200 everything is consistent and smooth.
June 05, 2012 05:07AM

I found the [57600 baud] boards.txt in one of your files about gen7 board probably

Must be something from the pre-v1.0 era, then, more than a year old. Not entirely impossible, just yesterday somebody complained on the reprap-dev mailing list about the wiki page not matching his electronics. He looked at the v1.0 wiki page while setting up a v1.3.1.

When I changed that to 115200 everything is consistent and smooth.

Glad you have it working smiling smiley

July 03, 2012 10:17AM
Hello Traumflug

I have recently get a gen7 board and eveything seems to be okay we have tested both the recieve and transmit and saw "atmega is idle" message clearly.

Unfortuneatly with Arduino 1.0.1 software and installed Gen7 Support package I am not able to upload Teacup to my 1284P it constantly stucks at uploading giving this message. Any suggestions ? I am currently editing the makefile in teacup firmware folder and also board is selected under tools.

avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer
July 04, 2012 05:29AM
Timeout means, there is no response from the serial line. Might be a wrong baud rate (the test firmware sends at 9600 baud, but the bootloader still requires 115200 baud).

Can also be a non-working auto-reset. In this case, press and release the reset button just before uploading. After a reset, the ATmega will wait 3 seconds for an incoming firmware. Within these 3 seconds, Arduino IDE should attempt to upload. Arduino IDE starts uploading as soon as the text reporting the firmware size appears.

In rare cases, people insert an ATmega with a bootloader for 20 MHz into a board with 16 MHz. Doesn't work either, because the baud rate is directly dependent on the CPU clock. 115200 baud would become 115200 / 20 * 16 = 92160 baud, then.

Edit: three -> there

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2012 08:10AM by Traumflug.

July 04, 2012 05:37AM
Thank You
I will try and report the results.
Below is the email I have sent you. No need to reply smiling smiley

Hello Traumflug

First of all I am very pleased about the board and the electronics everything worked directly out of the box(Of course after I assembled them (: ). I am currently able to test the board and at least confirm that I can receive messages from Test firmware already installed on the atmega. Here is my configuration.

* I am trying to upload firmware ‎teacup gen7 branch to my Gen7 board.
* I have powered it with a Pc-Power supply and using a usb to rs232 - rs232 to TTL cable for comunication which I have tested with ossiloscope that it sends and recieves to atmega. All voltage points are tested and positive
* I am using Gen7.v1.4 config file and thermistordouble table.
* Arduino IDE version is 1.0.1 and Gen7 Support V2 is installed in hardware folder.
* Gen7 1284P 20Mhz Board is selected from board menu and also correct serial port is selected for both in Linux(Ubuntu 12.04) and Windows 7

I am trying to upload firmware to my electronic device but unfortuneatly for 2 days I am not able to upload anything, including setuptest.pde. Do you have any idea what might be the reason ?

I will also post this message to forums for helping others.
July 05, 2012 08:33AM
If I start the upload process at the first 3 seconds everything works normal and fine smiling smiley. My reprap is now running and I have started calibration process.

Thank you for your help.

May I suggest adding this info to your Gen7 wiki it is almost perfect. It worked flawlessly up to that point.
July 06, 2012 05:38AM
This auto-reset depends on the USB-TTL converter and obviously you didn't choose the recommended one. No problem with that, but with all the dozens of different USB-TTL converters available it's plain impossible to give general instructions.

July 06, 2012 05:46AM
Ah I see I am using a USB - TTL that I have builded at home. Thats why it is not working then. My problem is solved and people are informed that there might me a small problem if you build your own USB-TTL and that was all.

Thank you.
July 07, 2012 07:15AM
You're right, Ali, and I changed my mind: [reprap.org] Hope this helps.

Regarding your home-built USB-TTL adapter (where's the wiki page for it?): if you manage to find an RTS (ready-to-send) signal on it, put this on pin 6 and auto-reset should start working: [reprap.org]

monoceros
August 27, 2012 07:45AM
Hi,
I have maid Gen 7 1.3.1 (644 P 20Mhz) but I can’t upload firmware; so anybody can tell me where I can find good bootloader ( something is wrong with maine).
August 28, 2012 06:11AM
1. which bootloader are you trying with?

2. a proper one is inside this package (find the .hex files): [github.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login