Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Screw Extruder

Posted by goaran 
Screw Extruder
March 27, 2010 06:46PM
Hi there,

i thout about building a screw extruder..
the advantage would be that the pellets are much cheaper than the string material..

at the time im experimantig a bit..

the aluminium tube will be heated juzst over the melting point to make it screwable.. this part will not be controlled..
the nozzle will be heated with the default electronix...

i dont have a reprap jet, but i will shortly include it in my diy cnc mill...
for the funnel i ordered one for chemical purpose.. when there are any results i will share them with you ..

has anybody tried this before?? do you think this makes sense??

my projects: [www.robotik.dyyyh.de] ...
Re: Screw Extruder
March 27, 2010 07:41PM
The idea has been discussed at length, but no-one has yet managed to come up with a working solution. Problems you may have with that design are that pla has the viscosity of honey when molten, and will probably dribble out of the end constantly, while ignoring attempts to push it. Most people have concluded it would be easier to extrude pellets into filament first, then feed it to a standard extruder, because otherwise you have to accelerate a big hopper around the place. It would be terrific if you could get this to work, but you might like to have a look on the forums/blogs to see what problems others have had first.
March 27, 2010 08:59PM
thanks for the quick answer.. i had at univerity a module about plastic extruders, so i know a bit about them.. more or less ,,, for injection molding there are some techniks which have a pushable extruder.. maybe this will work, or a thermal barrier inbetween the first heating and the final so that it first melts a string which gets hard a bit and then is liquidized again in the printer head... dont know it jet, but i think whith some trying this should be solable.. (sorry for the bad english, bit drunk)
EDIT: opps sorry i just recognized this should be placed in the plastic extruder forums.. @admin pleaze move..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2010 09:14PM by goaran.

my projects: [www.robotik.dyyyh.de] ...
Walter Schreppers
March 06, 2012 12:25PM
This is looking verry promising indeed. TU Delft also submitted a paper on this exact design:
[reprapdelft.files.wordpress.com]

goaran Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi there,
>
> i thout about building a screw extruder..
> the advantage would be that the pellets are much
> cheaper than the string material..
>
> at the time im experimantig a bit..
>
> the aluminium tube will be heated juzst over the
> melting point to make it screwable.. this part
> will not be controlled..
> the nozzle will be heated with the default
> electronix...
> [dyyyh.de]
>
> i dont have a reprap jet, but i will shortly
> include it in my diy cnc mill...
> for the funnel i ordered one for chemical
> purpose.. when there are any results i will share
> them with you ..
>
> has anybody tried this before?? do you think this
> makes sense??
October 18, 2012 05:03AM
HELLO
I would like to know the email GOARAN

cordially

Etienne Berthaud
VDX
October 18, 2012 05:26AM
... send him a PM.

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
October 23, 2012 08:14PM
Great Idea, We have done something similar but used to make filament. Check out our blog at [projectspaghettidinner.wordpress.com]

Hope this helps
December 24, 2012 09:48AM
There are multiple working models now I initiated a wiki page Filament production. (But there are at least three wiki pages about it) greenman100 mentioned his.

The earlier versions i saw worked slightly differently in that they mostly pushed the stuff cold. I wonder if pushed ahead.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login