Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Haydns printed Mag Rods improved

Posted by o_lampe 
Haydns printed Mag Rods improved
January 07, 2018 08:43AM
While I'm waiting for the Delrin Mag arms for my Compact Carrier project, I printed a set from PLA. Haydn said, he uses a 3/8" ball end mill to smooth out the printed mag holder, I found a different way.
I replaced the M3 screw of a hotend with one of the ball studs, heated it up to 160°C and voilá :super smooth surface.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2018 08:44AM by o_lampe.
Re: Haydns printed Mag Rods improved
January 07, 2018 09:42AM
Nice idea!

Delta printer calibration calculator, mini IR Z probe, and colour touch screen control panel: [escher3d.com]

Large delta printer, and other 3D printer blog postings: [miscsolutions.wordpress.com]

Disclosure: I have a financial interest in sales of the Panel Due, Mini IR height sensor, and Duet WiFi/Duet Ethernet [www.duet3d.com].
January 07, 2018 06:58PM
You can form delrin (acetal) the same way. It does give off formaldehyde gas if you get it too hot, which is rather hazardous to your health.
January 08, 2018 12:17AM
There is one more thing, I want to try: The air gap between magnet and ball stud should be equal for all rods.

The Delrin rods I got from T3P3 have a very small gap. I want to get there with printed ones, too.
My idea is to modify the M5 screw I used for pushing ( see pic 1 ) in a way, that it makes electric contact with the ball stud when the desired gap is reached. Then I have to use the multimeter to check for continuety while melting down the plastic.
January 11, 2018 06:18AM
Thank you for this idea I was intending to make these rods for my cylinder printer (I have a set of Haydns rods on my kossel Xl). So I will try this idea.

So are you making them so the magnet is just in contact with the ball stud? I suppose the less the gap the greater the magnet force.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2018 06:20AM by DjDemonD.

[www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile z-probe plus piezo discs, endstop cables, pt100, 50w heaters.
[www.facebook.com] we want to see your first layer photos... give us a like/share
[www.thingiverse.com] DemonDeltaMicro - Micro Delta Printer & Things I've made/remixed.
January 11, 2018 09:08AM
The idea is to make the gap equal for all heat treated mag-holders. I don't think it's good to have contact between the ballstud and the magnet.
I modified the screw, I used to press the mag-holder onto the ball. Now it makes contact with the ball 0.1mm before the magnet would.
It's hard to see, but the screw protrudes the washer by 0.1mm

January 12, 2018 09:28AM
With a cutting punch or the proper diam, cut pieces of 0.1mm PTFE sheet you put in the hole. Will not melt, will give the right spacing. I make bearings that way, magnets plus Igus or PTFE. A T° adjustable heatgun used for reflow comes handy too.

"You failed to maintain your weapon, son" (Harry Brown )
January 13, 2018 12:35AM
Nice idea, if you have these sort of things or tools at hand. I also thought of 5mm OD shims, but they are even harder to get. The 0.1mm gap isn't "official" yet. I'll get my Delrin magball kits next week, then I have a chance to check their gap for reference.
January 13, 2018 08:22AM
o_lampe
Nice idea, if you have these sort of things or tools at hand. I also thought of 5mm OD shims, but they are even harder to get. The 0.1mm gap isn't "official" yet. I'll get my Delrin magball kits next week, then I have a chance to check their gap for reference.

PTFE sheet can be found in laser printers. Old printers in junkyards, just be polite with the guys toting baseball bats smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2018 08:24AM by MKSA.

"You failed to maintain your weapon, son" (Harry Brown )
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login