Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printing flexible filament... any hints?

Posted by frankvdh 
Printing flexible filament... any hints?
December 14, 2017 10:28PM
Hi,

I've been asked to print an object using flexible filament. I'm a bit leary about that, especially with a Bowden setup on my Delta. Does anyone have any hints or suggestions to pass on before I leap into it?

Thanks

Frank
Re: Printing flexible filament... any hints?
December 15, 2017 03:14AM
The Bowden tube might be no problem, just don't use retraction. I always print two skirt lines to prime the nozzle and build up pressure.
The flex. filament I used sticked really good to blue tape. Almost too good...
Maybe raise the nozzle for the 1st. layer a bit to reduce "squish"-factor.
VDX
December 15, 2017 04:01AM
... to get flexible filament "stiffer" you can freeze the spool and mount it into a cooled insulation, and/or cool the filament shortly before entry into the heater zone - so it won't squish so much while feeding.

One methode for cooling with cold air is a "vortex tube" - [en.wikipedia.org]

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
December 17, 2017 09:15PM
As I feared, I am having trouble with the eSun eLastic filament. I've slowed everything down to ridiculously slow speeds (0.1mm/sec -- What is a reasonable feed rate for flexible filament?) and it still jams in the extruder. I tried a different extruder with the same outcome. sad smiley It always seems to curl around underneath the drive gear and jam... see the video at DropBox [www.dropbox.com] (candidate for least exciting video of 2017!)

I'm thinking about printing something in PLA to fill the space between the drive gear and the extruder casing, but I think perhaps this is a symptom of some other problem. It doesn't take much pressure to push the filament through the hot-end by hand, but pretty much impossible (due to the floppy nature of the stuff) to push it through the Bowden tube and hot-end. If I maintain pressure, material does come out the nozzle, but *very* slowly, like oozing out. I'm using a 0.5mm nozzle, BTW. I do have black Bowden connectors which allow the PTFE to go all the way through them, so the end of the PTFE should be hard up against the heatsink and I don't think it's jamming in there. But of course I can't see in there. Bowden tube is maybe 600mm long.

Filament now in the freezer to try that idea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2017 09:24PM by frankvdh.
December 18, 2017 02:15AM

Filament now in the freezer to try that idea.

Will be interesting to hear your experience. I'm afraid of condensed water building up on the filament.
VDX
December 18, 2017 02:28AM
... keep the cold filament inside a bag as long as possible ... some flexible filaments can get brittle, so be carefully while bending it ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

December 19, 2017 01:09PM
Tried the "frozen" filament... it came out of the freezer about as flexible as it went in, so it's no surprise that I had no success printing with it.

But I suppose that's good news for someone who's printing flexible stuff to be used in the arctic.

Now looking at modding the extruder to close off the escape routes.
VDX
December 19, 2017 05:38PM
... hmmm - at which temperature was it? - depending on the material it could get brittle like glass below -10degC ...

Viktor
--------

December 20, 2017 09:42PM
Filament has to be fully "guided" which means a ptfe tube near the hobb.
in Titan they have a plastic guided part that guides the filament to prevent buckling
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login