Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ball-cap rod-end concept pros and cons

Posted by shadowphile 
ball-cap rod-end concept pros and cons
September 08, 2017 09:44PM
Hello, after custom machining my effector and carriages I am now frequently getting .01 mm auto-levels on a machine with a 300mm print space, which I am pretty happy with.
However, the Traxxis rod-ends are definitely the weak link (no pun intended!) and I'm looking at alternatives.
The magnetic ball approach seems popular and easy to make accurate but I just don't trust magnets and shudder when I imagine my untended printer smashing itself to pieces.
Instead I recently learned about the ball-cap approach: the balls are mounted axially on the effector and the rod-ends are shaped to cap laterally on the ball, with a spring pulling the rod ends together.

My thought is that making the ball-cap end precisely centered on the ball itself is important, otherwise the effective rod-lengths will change with angle.
So far I have only encountered this design at Trick Laser
The parts are injected-molded Delrin so the accuracy is probably really good and likely to stay that way, IF you can find 3/8" ball studs. Most ball-studs I can find are 10mm, which differs from the Trick Laser parts by about 5%. Damn Americans using imperials units! (I am a damn American btw). A short ball-stud would directly replace the traxxis ball without any redesign (assuming the same M3 stud).

So far I have not found much hands-on or theoretical discussion of this idea so I am starting one now.
thanks
Re: ball-cap rod-end concept pros and cons
September 08, 2017 11:23PM
In another thread I read about IGUS-filament. If you have a working printer, you can try to print your own ball caps. Maybe make them fit with heat?
BTW: Many Deltas run on original IGUS ball ends, but they are expensive.
September 09, 2017 12:45AM
I recommend the magnetic rods and ball studs by Haydn Huntley. They have never come apart on me except when I applied force to the effector manually.

I've never used ball-end axles and caps, but user saffi on the Duet3D forum has used both the SeeMeCnc and the Tricklaser ones I believe and may be able to offer some advice. Here is one of saffi's posts: [www.duet3d.com].

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2017 12:46AM by dc42.

Delta printer calibration calculator, mini IR Z probe, and colour touch screen control panel: [escher3d.com]

Large delta printer, and other 3D printer blog postings: [miscsolutions.wordpress.com]

Disclosure: I have a financial interest in sales of the Panel Due, Mini IR height sensor, and Duet WiFi/Duet Ethernet [www.duet3d.com].
September 09, 2017 04:51AM
Haydn also sells 3/8 Ball studs separately Haydn's Ball studs
September 10, 2017 01:05PM
Would not be too hard to machine something that works like the Trick Laser-cups, I think. A countersinked hole in some slippery, reasenably hard material should do it. The trick is attaching the spring so the joints will self-center. A pure print might work too

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2017 01:06PM by SlowFoot.
September 11, 2017 01:56AM
or machine it with a 3/8 ball mill
September 11, 2017 10:36AM
Go with Haydn's rods. You can order them on ultibots, they're fairly priced and outstanding.
September 12, 2017 06:03AM
+1 for Haydns magnets they won't disconnect unless you have a catastrophic impact with something and then you probably want them to.

They have zero backlash and are light.

My only suggestion would be thicker carbon rods/tubes for longer lengths I. E. 360mm plus as I can slightly bend my 360mm arms if I try, not that it seems to cause any practical issues, it just seems to make sense as length increases to increase stiffness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2017 06:04AM by DjDemonD.

[www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile z-probe.
[www.facebook.com] Post an image of your setup, give us a like/share

[www.thingiverse.com] DemonDeltaMicro - Micro Delta Printer & Things I've made/remixed.
September 15, 2017 04:49PM
thanks for the input. I still have a conceptual problem with the magnets. They get weaker as you pull away vs springs that get stronger as they stretch. The later sounds more shock resistant.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login