Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kossel Mini First Layer Waves / Ripples

Posted by StuartMoorhouse 
Kossel Mini First Layer Waves / Ripples
August 05, 2017 02:19PM
I've been having a few issues lately having not printed anything for a while. I've rebuilt my kossel mini (t3dp3d, with DCs IR probe) changed the belts and re calibrated to what I believe is a decent Z nozzle height.
However on prints with a large surface area in contact with the bed i'm getting wavy lines appear, it looks like the extruded plastic is lifting up off the bed seconds after it has been laid.

Small parts stick to the bed fine.
Im slicing with Slic3r 1.2.9 printing with 1.75mm PLA

First Layer Height: 0.2mm
60mm/s for solid infill
And default for; default extrusion width, first layer extrusion width, perimeters, infill and solid infill.
Extruder temperature: 210C
Bed: 65c/60c

I have recalibrated the extruder steps and varied the IR probe offset slightly higher and slightly lower to see if that has any affect on how the printer is calibrating but no luck.

Any advice?
Many Thanks
Stuart
Re: Kossel Mini First Layer Waves / Ripples
August 05, 2017 04:15PM
I think your printer may be over extruding. Also 60mm/sec is rather fast for the first layer.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 05, 2017 04:18PM
Thanks for your reply.
I've played around with the speed settings but didn't witness much difference.
To lower the extrusion amount in Slic3r would I be correct to lower the 'default extrusion width' by say 10% or so?
August 05, 2017 11:13PM
You can adjust the extrusion on the fly using the M221 command. You may also be able to do it from your LCD control panel if you have one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2017 11:14PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 08, 2017 10:01AM
Had a bit of a play round, I managed to improve results but they're still not perfect.
I kept my slic3r settings the same but instead slowed the speed right down to 75% and the extrusion factor to 93%, the first layer perimeters lay down great but the ripples still exist to a much smaller extent. Im starting to think if it it could be a printer issue and theres maybe some friction on the rails or wheels but it all seems fine when I strip it down. Going even lower in extrusion factor doesn't make much difference.
Or could this be a slicing thing?
Ive had the printer produce some great results with previously used slicer and print settings. Im going to give printing on blue tape a go, see if that has any difference.

Showing the curl up as the nozzle passes by

Showing ripples as well as some lines in the print (in addition to those where the nozzle passes over)

Print viewed from the bottom
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login