Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Direct extrusion and Rostock mini

Posted by ax2013 
Direct extrusion and Rostock mini
July 13, 2017 02:49AM
3mm Bowden tube makes the platform of my Rostock mini to twist. It is making bed leveling very difficult. Looking for direct drive extruder/hotend combo, but there aren't many (for obvious reasons). Does anyone else using direct drive with delta?
I am able to calibrate bed by using probe which is directly under the nozzle but it is manual task. It eliminates the affection of twisting. However I rather like to use fixed optosensor but it can never be between nozzle and bed.

Axel.
Re: Direct extrusion and Rostock mini
July 13, 2017 03:24PM
If you platform is twisting just from Bowden tube I'd expect the weight of a stepper on your effector is going to cause just as many problems, what are you using for rod connection to your effector and carriages?

My Delta originally had a lot of slop in the carriage and effector system that was totally removed when I did this modification: [www.thingiverse.com]

So I'd highly suggest looking into magnetic zero lash option as per Haydn Huntley [groups.google.com]

Then your Bowden will probably be fine, but you could then also look into our Nimble extruder for it's ability to print flexible filaments as well as the other benefits [zesty.tech]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2017 03:31PM by briangilbert.

Co-creator of the Zesty Nimble, worlds lightest direct drive extruder.
[zesty.tech]
July 13, 2017 08:19PM
wondered when the plug would come lol you can get rid of slop in the arms if using traxxas ball ends with springs attached to arms, magnet sytems ok if you can get good strong magnets, there are small direct drive motor extruders for deltas,also you could shorten the bowden by having a flying extruder, also the flex3drive which is established and then the nimble i have no commercial links to either so i ain;t answering a post to sell my wares.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2017 08:26PM by chris33.

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
July 14, 2017 04:51PM
Hello. Thanks for the tips. Nimble looks interesting. Another reason why I'm looking for direct drive option is Retract. It does not work properly with bowden (mine at least). Technically it works but there is always some tension in tube wich affects to object while extract happens. I believe direct drive is a way to improve many things in my delta.
I'm also changing ABS platform to aluminium one to make structure more robust.
I havent found magnetic zero slash option for rostock yet.

Axel
July 15, 2017 07:37AM
yes thats why the mod fora bowden with out much expense would be flying extruder shorten the tube distance between the extruder to hotend, never thought of doing that

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
July 17, 2017 07:57PM
@ax2013 you can source magnetic rods from Haydn here: [groups.google.com]
July 18, 2017 07:28AM
Also there are a lot of effectors made for the Haydn magnetic arms.
If you can't find what you are looking for, let me know and I can design one for you. I have a whole bunch of them.

But first look at the list here and here

Lykle
July 18, 2017 05:01PM
Hello. Much appreciated. I haven't seen Rostock mini carriage for magnetic rods.

Axel.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login