Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

AnyCubic Kossel Board Replacement

Posted by twwd 
AnyCubic Kossel Board Replacement
June 01, 2017 02:25PM
I purchased a AnyCubic Kossel Linear 3D printer. It is out of warranty! The board that came with my machine is a Trigorilla, that I am sure you are all familiar with. The problem I have at this point is the board has burned out.sad smiley They are not available anymore from anyone and I have looked everywhere! Do any of you have any idea where I might find the original Trigorilla board, or can you give me information as to a substitute board that I can use with this machine that will not be to hard to deal with as to programming?

Thank you in advance for any help you might give me!smiling smiley
Re: AnyCubic Kossel Board Replacement
June 01, 2017 05:14PM
you should buy a 32 bits board instead old atmega
smoothieboard are good and affordable

i have the same kossel than you and i have change my original board because for delta you need powerful processor

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2017 05:15PM by titeuf007.
June 01, 2017 06:10PM
titeuf007,

Thank you for the information!smiling smiley Could you please give me the model #'s off that board and where you purchased it? I am really new at dealing with these boards, and if the 3d printers (of which I currently have three) did not come pre-programmed I would be lost!confused smiley

Is this Atmega 32 bit board a stand alone controller or will I need additional boards to make it work?

Thank you for the help.
June 01, 2017 06:20PM
titeuf007,

Would this board do the job? If so is this all I need to get started? Thank you!!

[www.ebay.de]
June 02, 2017 03:31PM
take the same board than me and i could send you my file
[www.aliexpress.com]

it s a good board to introduce with smoothieware software
June 02, 2017 05:00PM
titeuf007
[www.aliexpress.com]

That depends on what you mean by "good". The MKS SBASE is a Smoothieboard derivative that is in violation of the Smoothieboard open hardware license (because it's closed source) - it is a parasite on open source hardware and software development. I think you will find that the Smoothieboard/Smoothieware folks are reluctant to support it. Earlier versions of that board had serious design flaws. I am biased, so I suggest you ask for opinions on this board in the Smoothie section of this forum if you are thinking of buying it.

For running a delta, you can't get a better board than the Duet WiFi or Duet Ethernet; but like the genuine Smoothieboard, they are not budget boards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2017 05:04PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 02, 2017 06:23PM
dc42,

Thank you for the input! I am relatively new to 3D Printing! I do have a TEVO Black Widow and a GEEETECH Pursa i3. I have both these machines set up for SD card operation only. I use Thingaverse and CURA together to produce my prints. So far so good! I do want what best for my Delta machine. My next issue is I just purchased a DELL PC computer with Windows 10, so doing downloads at this point is reall hard for me to do. Will either one of these boards Duet boards work out of the box using just the SD card system?

Price is not an object if what I purchase will do what I need. I need something simple to set up and is somewhat reliable! Looking at the Duet Ethemet it seems to have the SD feature that I am looking for, with a 12/24 volt power am I correct? Could I get you to give me the link to both these boards so that I am sure of what I am looking at!?

Just a short note to thank all those that are extending me a helping hand! I really do appreciate it!!smiling smiley

Thank you,
Rob T.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2017 06:24PM by twwd.
June 02, 2017 07:39PM
titeuf007,

Will the board that you suggest I get will it match up to the LCD unit that came with the Anycubic machine? Just how hard is the driver and running software going to be with this board? I see it also has an SD slot as well. Not sure which way to go at this point! Really do not want to spend a lot of money on a machine that only cost a little over $200.00 to begin with!
June 02, 2017 09:28PM
titeuf007,

Another question! The My Anycubic Kossel came with a SD card! On that card there are three different files. Do you think these files could be the original drivers for the original Trigorilla board? This what is on the card. 1st file. CardTest(no use).gcode. 2nd file. CHN-Anycubic Kossel files 20151021. 3rd file. Eng-Kossel files 20161021.

I want to get my Anycubic up and running again, so I think I will go ahead and take a chance on the less expensive MKS SBASE V1.3 that you recommended and try and load the required files you could supply me with!

Thanks again for all the help!

Rob T.
June 03, 2017 03:41AM
twwd
Price is not an object if what I purchase will do what I need. I need something simple to set up and is somewhat reliable! Looking at the Duet Ethemet it seems to have the SD feature that I am looking for, with a 12/24 volt power am I correct? Could I get you to give me the link to both these boards so that I am sure of what I am looking at!?

Here is the link: [www.duet3d.com]. Yes the Duet WiI/Ethernet has a built-in Micro SD card socket and it can be powered from 11V to 25V. Also it has TMC2660 drivers with up to x256 microstepping, which make the motors on your printer much quieter. The firmware has least-squares auto delta calibration of up to 9 factors, plus mesh bed compensation if calibration alone isn't enough (both of these require a Z probe). Please note, these boards do not support monochrome LCDs with separate encoders, so if you want control the printer from an LCD panel you will need the PanelDue touch screen. The alternative is to use a tablet or smartphone to control the printer.

Once you are connected to a Duet WiFi or Ethernet, you can do all the configuration, firmware updates etc. from a browser. To get connected, you will need to find out the IP address that your router has assigned to the board. This can normally be done by interrogating your router from a browser.

If you do need to connect a PC to help you setup the board, you can find help on the forum on duet3d.com. Lots of users (including me) are using Windows 10 with these boards. You will not need to recompile the firmware to configure it.

HTH David

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

June 03, 2017 04:03AM
yes you original lcd screen will not be compatible with mks sbase but you don t not need it (i have no one for this board but you can buy one for this 32bits look at my link)

dc42 and others clone haters, i agree with you partially..
in fact clone is good thing to test and know if we like the way the code go on
for ex i will never buy >100usd board for my first cheap printers like lots of people...so i buy a clone(which working very well and very very good quality in term of pcb,no reflux,)
but now for my next project i am going to buy original smoothieware because i have already test ot and use them.
so clone is not as bad as you suggest and could bring more buyers/bigger communauty

so if you don t want clone, you could buy this great board too
[fr.aliexpress.com]

[www.dropbox.com]
it s closed source software(so you will have haters too because it s no open source) but this board is perfect because you can add lots of features and has stepper motor removable
i have spoken with some users german and there are very very happy with it(user friendly,no brain storming)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2017 04:23AM by titeuf007.
June 03, 2017 01:04PM
(other clone haters bit harsh) no its because they say the items opensource (where are all the files too? where could i go out and make a mks sbase) if people like the smoothie developers and duet developers put the files out as opensource its open simple i can make one you can make one everyone make one everyone developes it or help ironing out problems, everyone has their input in making it better because thats how open source works, but then you get some will make a variant (sell it as inferior to the opensource product) then don't support it and then let all the other people who have got a proper versions of the boards, day in day out trying to help those who bought a clone board which its not a clone if it was it be exactly the same looking as a smoothie board its a unsupported smoothie compatible board that's not opensource that's unfair the only support you will get is from people who do own a mks bases board, like myself but ill be chucking mine on my prusa i3 when i rework it as my ramps board is getting a bit tired.

titeuf007 as you been banging on my post about the mks why did i change it when smoothieware does the same with bed leveling are you a mks agent or reseller?

I have a mks sbase board and fell into the trap yeah its cheap, but don't fall into it, its not open source what so ever, i did try and help them myself emailing them issues with the board and all you get back is thankyou nothing more, the literature is poor i would either spend few bucks on a board that has got a lot of support even look out for 2nd hand boards like i did with the duet,and to be honest its worth paying extra for a board that has support and literature, or you be going around in circles trying to understand chinenglish

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2017 01:32PM by chris33.

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
June 03, 2017 01:49PM
titeuf700, dc42, and chris33!

Thanks to all you guys for responding to my questions! I have come to a realization about 3d printing! If your not a computer wiz you really should not be purchasing and building the kit type machines. I just have a really hard time understanding how to do the drivers and othe required downloads to get all the different boards to work!

I have a TEVO Black Widow, Geeetech i3 Pursa, and a Sunhockey Acrylic Pursa i3! I set up all three of these machines (out of the box) using ONLY Thingaverse and CURA. I downloaded the print from CURA onto the SD card right into the machines, and with some mechanical set up time such a leveling and using the LCD to set up the rest, I have gotten some very nice impressive builds! Not one time on all three machines did I have to use a USB cable to the printers to get them working! I love building the kits!

I did build the Anycubic Kossel linear Delta machine, and I did have it working off the SD card without using the computer other than to load a print to the SD card. The problem came when someone advised me to use the computer to set up the fine tuning of the machine! Well I thought lets give it a try! And needless to say my Delta took a dump, stopped working completely and then the board smoked and went out!

Sorry for the long story!sad smiley At this point in time purchasing any new type board for my non working Delta is out of the question for me! I just do not understand programming well enough to re-configure boards! (70 plus old brain not a sharp as it used to be)

Again want to thank all of you for taking YOUR time to try and help me with my Delta issue!!smiling smiley

Rob T.
June 03, 2017 03:19PM
One last try for a replacement of the Trigorilla board! I found this set up that will work out of the box with SD card! Any input as to setting this electronics package up with the Anycubic Kossel machine!? Last attempt!

Amazon inter-RAMPS-MEGA2560-Controller/dp/B01N9R1V3L/ref=sr_1_118?ie=UTF8&qid=1496516118&sr=8-118&keywords=DIY+3d+printer+kits

Rob T.

Sorry my copy and paste did not come through right!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2017 03:21PM by twwd.
June 03, 2017 05:27PM
chris33
(other clone haters bit harsh) no its because they say the items opensource (where are all the files too? where could i go out and make a mks sbase) if people like the smoothie developers and duet developers put the files out as opensource its open simple i can make one you can make one everyone make one everyone developes it or help ironing out problems, everyone has their input in making it better because thats how open source works, but then you get some will make a variant (sell it as inferior to the opensource product) then don't support it and then let all the other people who have got a proper versions of the boards, day in day out trying to help those who bought a clone board which its not a clone if it was it be exactly the same looking as a smoothie board its a unsupported smoothie compatible board that's not opensource that's unfair the only support you will get is from people who do own a mks bases board, like myself but ill be chucking mine on my prusa i3 when i rework it as my ramps board is getting a bit tired.

titeuf007 as you been banging on my post about the mks why did i change it when smoothieware does the same with bed leveling are you a mks agent or reseller?

I have a mks sbase board and fell into the trap yeah its cheap, but don't fall into it, its not open source what so ever, i did try and help them myself emailing them issues with the board and all you get back is thankyou nothing more, the literature is poor i would either spend few bucks on a board that has got a lot of support even look out for 2nd hand boards like i did with the duet,and to be honest its worth paying extra for a board that has support and literature, or you be going around in circles trying to understand chinenglish

i am french and not chinese agent comme tu pourrai le penser winking smiley
pour le manuel il y a tous si tu cherches un petit peu par toi meme comme ici par exemple
[www.instructables.com]

je suis d accord qu ils ne jouent pas au jeu vu qu ils ne publient pas leurs fichiers.
cependant ça reste abordable pour une premiere acquisition et peu emmener pas mal d autres clients./futurs acquéreur
June 04, 2017 07:33AM
twwd
Thanks to all you guys for responding to my questions! I have come to a realization about 3d printing! If your not a computer wiz you really should not be purchasing and building the kit type machines. I just have a really hard time understanding how to do the drivers and othe required downloads to get all the different boards to work!

There's a big difference between the older 8-bit controller electronics and at least some of the newer 32-bit electronics. With 8-bit electronics, to configure the firmware for your printer you have to edit the source code, recompile it (which means that you need the correct version of the build system for it - usually Arduino - on your PC), then upload it to your printer. Users often have trouble with this. It's a bit easier with Repetier firmware because there is a web-based configuration tool that can make most of the changes for you, but you still have to rebuild and upload the firmware.

With good 32-bit electronics, you don't need to recompile or re-upload the firmware to make configuration changes. You just edit a text file on the SD card instead. With Duet electronics, you can do this within the web interface. So it's much easier, although non-technical users may still need some guidance to get familiar with the process.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2017 07:34AM by dc42.

June 04, 2017 09:07AM
titeuf007
chris33

i am french and not chinese agent comme tu pourrai le penser winking smiley
pour le manuel il y a tous si tu cherches un petit peu par toi meme comme ici par exemple
[www.instructables.com]

je suis d accord qu ils ne jouent pas au jeu vu qu ils ne publient pas leurs fichiers.
cependant ça reste abordable pour une premiere acquisition et peu emmener pas mal d autres clients./futurs acquéreur

I will say it, titeuf007, you are coming across as a dick pure and simple.
June 04, 2017 06:36PM
calvin essaye d etre moins con en etant plus courtois
July 11, 2017 02:49AM
Eh oh keep a nice tone please gentlemen...

When you end up sounding insulting, you probably just appear to be missing arguments for your point, anyway.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
July 11, 2017 10:33AM
I've done a ton of upgrades to my delta over the years and none has had the impact going from a Rambo to a duetWifii has had. The support and community are also outstanding...
November 29, 2017 04:04PM
titeuf007
[www.aliexpress.com]

Hi,
I have the same 3d printer (anycubic kossel plus) and I bought the same mks sbase v1.3 (and a tft32), could you send me your settings?

thank you so much

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2017 04:34PM by drthiago3d.
November 30, 2017 11:18AM
since we talk about Clone, I wanted to inform you that the Chinese organization has also cloned Duet WIFImoody smiley
for those who do not have much moneysad smiley
[it.aliexpress.com]

DELTA Printer - Duet -Touch5" - E3D_V6
December 01, 2017 11:36AM
maralb
since we talk about Clone, I wanted to inform you that the Chinese organization has also cloned Duet WIFImoody smiley
for those who do not have much moneysad smiley
[it.aliexpress.com]

It's not a proven clone yet, and not exactly dirt-cheap just yet - give it a couple of months though. Have they cloned a PanelDue yet?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2017 11:37AM by firefly555.
December 19, 2017 07:47PM
I use a RADDS for mine, and even though I can't print anything yet (still have some soldering to do), I am EXTREMELY impressed with the results. I already anticipate perfect prints, once I upgrade my stepper drivers, motors, and work out kinks in the firmware and board.

I remember years back, when Kossels used fishing line instead of timing belts, that people were saying delta kinematics were responsible for certain artifacts showing up in prints, like vertical waves. This is only half true. Delta kinematics are by far, more complex than Cartesian movement, and as such, require more number crunching power and bandwidth, in order to get the quality you would expect from a cartesian. This always has been the biggest bottleneck for them. They were also very finicky at the time, and required very fine adjustments just to print. With RADDS, or a Duet, you do not need to worry about these limitations, as configuring, and processing, has never been this easy. I am personally surprised that deltas can be run on 8 bit controllers, in the first place. I would never go back. It's like living your whole life underground, then seeing the sky for the first time.

I can't wait for what the next five years of 3d printing will bring, but for right now, I'm happy where things are. Just gotta get out of budget range RAMPS board territory.

If you go this route, and you decide to get an Arduino DUE CLONE, then liberally apply hot glue to the USB connectors on the board. Those cheapoid Due clones are total garbage, and a stiff enough breeze will turn them to dust. It's far better just to get a real one.

The biggest downside to using the RADDS, would probably be that you need to remove it from the DUE to flash it, as the Erase button is virtually inaccessible otherwise, and you need to press the Erase button so that your computer will recognize it. It took me a week to realize that. Technically you can get to it with a hook shaped piece of something-or-other, and tap the button from between the pin headers, but that's just as much of a pain in the ass. The other problem is that I don't know if I can use PanelDue and a Wifi Module at the same time, which is, at best, frustrating, and at worst, kind of sad, depending on what is possible.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2017 07:59PM by Lobotomy.
December 30, 2017 05:19PM
You do not need access to the erase button:
Opening and closing the Programming port [of Arduino DUE] connected at 1200bps triggers a “hard erase” procedure of the SAM3X chip, activating the Erase and Reset pins on the SAM3X before communicating with the UART.
[store.arduino.cc]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login