Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can Delta machines work without computers?

Posted by twwd 
Can Delta machines work without computers?
April 30, 2017 06:45PM
Is it possible to get my Anycubic Kossel Linear Delta printer to operate well enough just using LCD pad, SD card, Thingiverse STL, and Cura and not using a computer at all? This may seem like a crazy question, but there may be some of us out there that just can't use a computer well enough to do some of the settings?

The two other printers I have (Tevo Black Widow, and the Geeetech i3 Pursa) are working great using some mechanical adjustments and the LCD pad alone. No computer set up what so ever other than the SD card downloads from Cura!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2017 07:15PM by twwd.
Re: Can Delta machines work without computers?
May 01, 2017 02:27AM
In some cases ( eg. Duet controllers w. RepRapFirmware ) you can use your smartphone or a tablet as LCD screen and download platform. ( The thingiverse .stls don't grow on trees )
I use my 8" Win8.1 tablet for slicing, too.
May 01, 2017 12:58PM
You may have misunderstood my question! I do use my PC for Thingiverse STL project downloads into Cura for slicing and onto my SD card for the printer.

My question is, do these delta type printers require a PC to get the printer operating system working? as I stated above, I have two other i3 Pursa type printers that I did not use ANY diver or firmware downloads to get them to work! I used only the preprogrammed boards that came with the printer and the LCD on the printer to make all my set up adjustments, no download or special operating assistance from the PC!
May 01, 2017 01:59PM
There are far to many variables with a delta that you can't expect any kit to just work out of the box like you possibly could with a prusa style.

If your build is 100% like the original then yes but to be honest that is practically impossible to achieve.

You would need all the variables on your printer to be exactly (And I do Mean Exactly) the same even down to the operating temperature of your environment.

HTH

Doug
May 01, 2017 03:57PM
Thanks Doug,

I do appreciate you response to my question! I just purchased a new DELL with Windows 10!angry smiley I really dislike the 10! I find it very hard to deal with on my printers. To bad my old Vista system bit the dust. I guess I just need to dig into Windows 10 and learn the system?!

Thanks again,
Rob
May 01, 2017 04:04PM
ah you didnt mention that I hate win 10 with a passion but that shouldn't stop you from being able to calibrate a delta but it is a large learning curve compared with a std cartesian design such as a prusa there are a lot more varibles to take into account
May 02, 2017 01:20AM
What do you need a computer for other than downloading stl files and slicing them? The only reason my delta is ever connected to a computer is to update the config file.
May 02, 2017 02:42AM
To alter the Config files when calibrating how else could you do it ?
May 02, 2017 03:09AM
[caution: RANT]
With all the newer windows versions, I felt more and more like a guest on my own computer. I have to ask politely to use it, and got more than once rejected from changing things, I had full control over in earlier versions.
[RANT end]

Windows is preparing to install 234 updates ... That might take a few minutes... 0.1% done..... 
May 05, 2017 12:17PM
twwd
Thanks Doug,

I do appreciate you response to my question! I just purchased a new DELL with Windows 10!angry smiley I really dislike the 10! I find it very hard to deal with on my printers. To bad my old Vista system bit the dust. I guess I just need to dig into Windows 10 and learn the system?!

Thanks again,
Rob

You could always shrink the Windows partition, install a flavour of Linux and turn it into a dual boot machine.

I daresay Linux is easier to use and maintain these days than Windows, and I for one see absolutely no downside, especially when working with open source products and personal projects. There are many helpful online communities to boot, so most technical issues can be researched pretty easily.

If it's brand new hardware that just entered the market recently, however, I'd recommend waiting a couple of months for the Linux drivers to come out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2017 12:19PM by scndctr.
June 02, 2017 01:45PM
Geeetech Rostock 301 can print from SD card without PC. I believe, it's all about the design of a particular printer and its hardware and firmware.
I don't recommend buying the aforementioned Rostock 301 though, because it is a huge pile of crap that just can not print at all unless you spend months fixing it.
June 02, 2017 04:55PM
With the Duet WiFi control board you can do all the configuration of the printer (including editing the configuration files) using the web interface. So you can set up everything using a tablet, or even a smartphone in principle. You can even update the firmware in the web interface. You would still need a PC if you accidentally configured it in such a way as to stop the WiFi interface working, or accidentally erased the firmware on the board.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login