Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Very large delta build.

Posted by paul12 
Very large delta build.
April 02, 2017 06:47AM
I am going to start make a large delta printer of 570mm diameter and 500mm height. I will be using duetwifi controller.
The main problem is that which type of design should I follow to make the printer.
Should I follow:-

1.Kossel type design with extrusions on all sides.
2. Trimatical type design with extrusions merging
towards the centre. [reprap.org]
3.The circular shaped base.

The image below shows the dimensions I tend to use.

Re: Very large delta build.
April 02, 2017 12:19PM
I don't consider myself an expert in mechanical design, but here is my take.

1. If you use the traditional Kossel construction, you get a very rigid frame. However, the accuracy depends on the 6 corners. Printed corners are not accurate, so I advise against using them for anything larger than a Mini Kossel. Robotdigg make some very nice (but not cheap) metal corners, which are now available in 2020, 2040 and 3030 sizes. i currently use the 2040 ones and I previously used the 2020 ones.

2. If you use the Trimatical design then the frame will be less rigid. Also you are depending on the accuracy of the standard extrusion fittings at the centre and at the bases and tops of the towers. I have never used those fittings, so I don't know how accurately those are machined. You could make the Trimatical design more rigid by using wire bracing across each pair of bottom corners and across each pair of top corners.

3. Circular base: it all depends on the accuracy of the joints between the towers and the circular base and top.

In your position, I would build a Kossel with the Robotdigg 3030 corners. But that's because I am familiar with Robotdigg corners and the Kossel design. See [miscsolutions.wordpress.com] for my current thoughts on how to build a good delta printer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2017 12:21PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 03, 2017 02:41AM
I'd clamp the frame down to a solid and flat plate, no matter which design you'll choose.
Maybe a mix of Kossel and circular plate?

If you use "off standard" extrusions, you'd have to print carriers and effector. Linear rails is a must then.
Also rod diameter and rod ends have to be bigger.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2017 02:43AM by o_lampe.
April 03, 2017 09:56AM
Thank you both for the support.
i have decided to make a mix of the kossel and circular base as shown in the deltabot calculator because some parts of the glass base will be protruding outwards if i make the frame with the dimensions as shown in calulator. I assume a circular base fill whole the area so that i can provide an enclosure.
I have bought the 2020 extrusion metal corners , metal effector and metal carriage available on aliexpress which are cheap. Since linear rails are not cheap i will be using rollers.

Will a 24v supply with 240W be enough for the power supply? The heatbed is directly connected to the AC mains.
April 03, 2017 12:24PM
paul12
Will a 24v supply with 240W be enough for the power supply? The heatbed is directly connected to the AC mains.

If the bed heater is AC mains powered, then 120W is probably enough. See [duet3d.com].

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 08, 2017 04:00PM
Thanks a lot for the quick reply. I will soon post about the making.
Sorry I couldn't reply earlier,had a problem with mobile.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login