Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What is hanging on your effector?

Posted by sungod3k 
What is hanging on your effector?
January 25, 2017 06:51AM
Hi,

I have a custom kossel style delta with some Chinese metal parts in there, which is working really well but its not "made from one piece".

I have simple alu effector,
a 360 deg squirrel cage fan model cooling fan hanging down from it and held on the effector via magnets,
a 40mm fan for hotend cooling attached to the original 30mm brackets from e3d via a funnel and
a clip on z probe that also attaches via magnets under the model cooling funnel

As you can see there is a lot going on, so recently I saw this, a 360 cooling mount that attaches cleverly to the hotend cooling bracket.
That got me thinking how to streamline everything and I was wondering what other people have hanging on their effectors? so i can do some window shopping for the next iteration.

Cheers
Attachments:
open | download - 2017-01-25 12_24_21-Autodesk Fusion 360.jpg (578.3 KB)
Re: What is hanging on your effector?
January 31, 2017 04:36PM
My effector is Haydn Huntley's effector for his magnet arm system. I have my new Piezo sensor, an e3d v6, and a twin 30mm part fan with 30mm heatsink fan shroud combo. I had previously a dc42 IR sensor.

But I also have this version which is Lykle's effector for Piezo (and will allow mounting a nimble extruder). Which raises the hotend up a bit to "normal" mounting position. I also have a bullseye spirit level to check for effector tilt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2017 02:25PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions

January 31, 2017 05:20PM
why do you change you probe sensor?
does the new is compatible with smoothieboard and others?
January 31, 2017 08:00PM
This will explain most of it [www.thingiverse.com]

But in a nutshell, with a delta especially unless its mechanically perfect the effector will tilt.This means any offset sensor no matter how sensitive and DC's sensor is sensitive, will give height errors as the effector tilts. Using the nozzle as the probe is optimum for a lot of reasons, thats where you print from, there are no offsets, the surface can be coated in whatever you want etc.. however prior to this sensor the options for nozzle based probing were to suspend the bed on force sensitive resistors and measure nozzle contact, or use piezo transducers under the bed. There is a design for an FSR hotend on thingiverse but its sprung to allow the hotend to move vertically and trigger the FSR. This generates a wobbly nozzle - not good! So I took the piezo under-bed work and modified it into a piezo hotend sensor. And its working great!

It works with duetwifi and I've been testing it on ramps today, working fine.
So it should work on smoothie also, I am waiting on a re-arm board, then I can get familiar with smoothieware also.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2017 08:03PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
January 31, 2017 09:04PM
Metal RobotDigg effector, Traxxas ball ends, printed shroud/mounting solution, 30mm axial hotend fan, 30mm centrifugal part cooling fan (expensive but worth it) with a headfork of a shroud, zero offset contact Z sensor actuated with a 2 gram servo, heavily modified clone hotend. I've gone through many design iterations, and this one has been printing like a champ for about a month.

January 31, 2017 09:15PM
well that is intersting nebbian, what hotend is this that it fits through the effector?
January 31, 2017 10:45PM
Generic chinese clone, with two fins hacked off.

February 05, 2017 12:35PM
DjDemonD
This will explain most of it [www.thingiverse.com]

But in a nutshell, with a delta especially unless its mechanically perfect the effector will tilt.This means any offset sensor no matter how sensitive and DC's sensor is sensitive, will give height errors as the effector tilts. Using the nozzle as the probe is optimum for a lot of reasons, thats where you print from, there are no offsets, the surface can be coated in whatever you want etc.. however prior to this sensor the options for nozzle based probing were to suspend the bed on force sensitive resistors and measure nozzle contact, or use piezo transducers under the bed. There is a design for an FSR hotend on thingiverse but its sprung to allow the hotend to move vertically and trigger the FSR. This generates a wobbly nozzle - not good! So I took the piezo under-bed work and modified it into a piezo hotend sensor. And its working great!

It works with duetwifi and I've been testing it on ramps today, working fine.
So it should work on smoothie also, I am waiting on a re-arm board, then I can get familiar with smoothieware also.

how we could reduce the tilt?
February 05, 2017 12:45PM
Well you wont get any appreciable tilt if your machine is mechanically perfect. However back in the real world this means your frame is very well made to 0.1 or even 0.05mm precision. Your effector and carriages are very well made so that the spacing between the rods at the effector and carriages is exactly the same on each rod pair, again to 0.05mm precision. Your rods are all exactly the same length, you guessed it, to 0.05mm precision. Your carriages are all mounted on their rails (assuming you are using rails) exactly the same and not twisted relative to Z or rotated. Your joints have no play, this is where magnetic is an improvement on traxxas or similar, but they're difficult to do well, Haydn's system seems to be the king of hill right now.

Then you can mount your hotend above the effector so just the heater block is hanging down below, since the tilt occurs through the horizontal plane of the effector this lessens the amount of difference at the nozzle, compared with hanging the whole hotend below the effector. If using an offset sensor of any type, mount it as close to the heater block as you can (without it malfunctioning due to the heat), this again lessens the difference between nozzle height and sensor trigger point, if there is any tilt. Or use a nozzle based probe like the piezo probe, FSR's, under-bed piezos or a deployable probe of which Nebbian's (on thingiverse), seems to be by far the best since it uses an optical endstop as the detector, and deploys to the same reproducible position each time. Of these only FSR's are tried and tested and available as a "product" but they have their limitations.

Simon Khoury

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login