Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Special Design Delta Custom - Need input on controllers

Posted by HighSpeedSkip 
Special Design Delta Custom - Need input on controllers
January 24, 2017 10:38AM
Hi Guys,

I am knew to the RepRap scene and partially the plastic 3D printing world.

I have a custom project that I am working on with a special design delta style frame. I would like to retrofit this for the use of 3D printing and really need some guidance on the best controllers/motors for use.

Currently the device is equipped with what I believe are DC motors and encoders for a closed loop system. The board that drives this though, I don not have the firmware or libraries to drive it as it would be overly complicated.

Based on this I was looking to the RepRap community to see how I can apply what is currently being done and available to make my unit a working printer.

I would really appreciate as much input and suggestions as you can give.

Thank you very much and I look forward to seeing what you guys think of this awesome design
Attachments:
open | download - print1.jpg (608.4 KB)
Re: Special Design Delta Custom - Need input on controllers
January 25, 2017 03:20AM
Interesting design!
The delta rods must be telescopic? Do they run smooth enough for fast delta moves?

Can you provide more details on the motors? If you're lucky, then NEMA 17 size steppers would fit. Probably you have to print new brackets for them.

Firmware and controllers for closed loop DC motors are under discussion ATM, but some guys ( eg. LoboCNC ) have made adapter boards to convert classic step/dir signals for dc motors. ( But no feedback to the maincontroller so far )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2017 03:22AM by o_lampe.
Re: Special Design Delta Custom - Need input on controllers
January 26, 2017 04:18PM
o_lampe
Interesting design!
The delta rods must be telescopic? Do they run smooth enough for fast delta moves?

Can you provide more details on the motors? If you're lucky, then NEMA 17 size steppers would fit. Probably you have to print new brackets for them.

Firmware and controllers for closed loop DC motors are under discussion ATM, but some guys ( eg. LoboCNC ) have made adapter boards to convert classic step/dir signals for dc motors. ( But no feedback to the maincontroller so far )

Hey o_lampe, thanks for the input. I got a picture of the motor assembly having trouble attaching it. They are very smooth and can handle rapid movements 5000mm/s no problem. Telescopic like you said, I would love to be able to use the current components as it is all quality parts and would speed things up.
I know closed loop boards have been very slim however.

I am continuing to look until I find something and will look into LoboCNC.
Hope to have the pictures up later.
Thanks again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login