Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DemonDeltaMicro printer

Posted by DjDemonD 
Re: DemonDeltaMicro printer
September 15, 2017 02:08PM
Okay so the updates to this printer have been documented on thingiverse [www.thingiverse.com] but I thought I'd share this one.

A truly portable 3D printer running off lithium batteries. Should be able to do 3 hours even with heated bed on, a lot longer printing PLA onto a suitable surface cold.

[www.thingiverse.com]
[youtu.be]

I'm not sure how or why this might even be useful, but I like making battery packs and this machine is modular so why not?

[www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile z-probe.
[www.facebook.com] Post an image of your setup, give us a like/share

[www.thingiverse.com] DemonDeltaMicro - Micro Delta Printer & Things I've made/remixed.

Re: DemonDeltaMicro printer
September 16, 2017 02:32PM
So a bit of testing with this and being battery powered doesn't seem to be a bad thing. In fact the 16.8v the pack provides fully charged, really speeds up heating and quietens down the motors a touch.

Seems that 2 hours with heated bed or 4 hours without is reasonable. The Lipo monitor started beeping at 3.5v/cell and then the voltage dropped off a cliff with the BMS shutting the pack off at 3v/cell, which is probably a little low for good battery longevity but I'll know where to call it next time. Current draw is around 0.8A idle, which seems high but there are fans, arduino, piezo board, leds all running, peaks around 9A with bed and hotend at max PWM, and seems to sit around 2.8A whilst printing and maintaining temperature (more like 2.2A with heated bed off).

Printing fast makes more sense on batteries, the motors use practically no more power moving quickly, but the heaters use a lot more if they run for longer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2017 02:33PM by DjDemonD.

[www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile z-probe.
[www.facebook.com] Post an image of your setup, give us a like/share

[www.thingiverse.com] DemonDeltaMicro - Micro Delta Printer & Things I've made/remixed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login