Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DemonDeltaMicro printer

Posted by DjDemonD 
Re: DemonDeltaMicro printer
September 15, 2017 05:08PM
Okay so the updates to this printer have been documented on thingiverse [www.thingiverse.com] but I thought I'd share this one.

A truly portable 3D printer running off lithium batteries. Should be able to do 3 hours even with heated bed on, a lot longer printing PLA onto a suitable surface cold.

[www.thingiverse.com]
[youtu.be]

I'm not sure how or why this might even be useful, but I like making battery packs and this machine is modular so why not?

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions

September 16, 2017 05:32PM
So a bit of testing with this and being battery powered doesn't seem to be a bad thing. In fact the 16.8v the pack provides fully charged, really speeds up heating and quietens down the motors a touch.

Seems that 2 hours with heated bed or 4 hours without is reasonable. The Lipo monitor started beeping at 3.5v/cell and then the voltage dropped off a cliff with the BMS shutting the pack off at 3v/cell, which is probably a little low for good battery longevity but I'll know where to call it next time. Current draw is around 0.8A idle, which seems high but there are fans, arduino, piezo board, leds all running, peaks around 9A with bed and hotend at max PWM, and seems to sit around 2.8A whilst printing and maintaining temperature (more like 2.2A with heated bed off).

Printing fast makes more sense on batteries, the motors use practically no more power moving quickly, but the heaters use a lot more if they run for longer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2017 05:33PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
October 25, 2017 12:32PM
IMPORTANT SAFETY TIP -

If you're using an external power supply, like an xbox360 PSU which is fairly heavy, and if it sits on the bench next to the printer, the bench which also contains another 3D printer which is generating vibrations, and if you stack 3 reels on top of the machine (just because its a convenient place to put them) then the PSU can fall off the desk, dragging the top-heavy (running) printer with it:

Luckily I was sat 5 feet from it when it happened, so no large fire started etc.. I wonder if any of the main firmware flavours supports a "fallen-off-the-bench sensor" yet?

It appears the extruder took the brunt of the impact, but the top frame is cracked also. Apologies forum insisting on displaying this image upside down, please do a handstand to view it the right way up smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2017 12:34PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

October 25, 2017 05:42PM
O M G

hope the damage is not to bad
October 25, 2017 05:49PM
I don't think so although it's definitely not a well aligned delta frame anymore! But is repairable.

An opportunity possibly to either repair it, maybe changing to a titan extruder as I have one lying around, and maybe a rearm board, which I also have leftover, as they are meant to be able to run marlin 32bit (unless I've got the wrong end of the stick about that) which could be an interesting thing to try (I've never really clicked with smoothieware).

Or maybe build it into a v2 of this microdelta, but this would take more time than I have. Or maybe even use the parts and try out this idea of making a large pvc drainpipe into a delta I read on another thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2017 05:51PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

October 25, 2017 06:09PM
I have been thinking about a delta that has a folding frame, so that 2 towers collapse towards each other with the third as the pivot, removable brace spaces out the towers for operation. your mobile machine seems like it might be a good base for that mod, with the battery pack a flat packable small delta might be pretty cool, extreme mobility and less weight than other 'mobile' frame designs. Just a suggestion, I am months away from trying it out myself (just ordered the 20/20 for a 3 foot delta, that is next).
October 25, 2017 06:10PM
Interesting idea.

Simon Khoury

October 26, 2017 03:21AM
Milton
I have been thinking about a delta that has a folding frame, so that 2 towers collapse towards each other with the third as the pivot, removable brace spaces out the towers for operation. your mobile machine seems like it might be a good base for that mod, with the battery pack a flat packable small delta might be pretty cool, extreme mobility and less weight than other 'mobile' frame designs. Just a suggestion, I am months away from trying it out myself (just ordered the 20/20 for a 3 foot delta, that is next).

...add a hinge to the bed and bring it in upright position before folding?

edit: Would folding be possible at all, with three stepper in the middle? If anything, you'd have to fold it 240° the other way round *gulp*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2017 02:44AM by o_lampe.
October 27, 2017 12:06PM
Repairs in progress. I think its just going back to together as it was but with neater wiring!

Simon Khoury

October 29, 2017 11:04AM
Back in one piece. Upgraded to Titan extruder with a pivoting bracket, so my bowden tube is now just 20cm, which experience with flying extruders suggests will have almost no detrimental effect on print quality, as the effect of bowden tube problems definitely increases logarithmically in relation to length.

Just trying a few prints now.

Simon Khoury

October 30, 2017 03:00AM
Printer sits on the very edge of the table again... eye popping smiley
October 30, 2017 04:42AM
o_lampe
Printer sits on the very edge of the table again... eye popping smiley

IKR?!?!?!

I just ordered a nice 3 tier freestanding shelving unit for like $25 on Amazon. I was looking at my printer mess, thinking 'dang I need some shelves' went looking and they are not to expensive, free shipping, no reason for not having a little organization.

Also, I feel like if i look long enough at that image I will find a VHS cassette somewhere in there, lurking in the shadows...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2017 04:44AM by Milton.
October 30, 2017 06:34AM
LOL its on the edge of the table again sure, but it doesn't have 3 kg of filament sat on top of it, and the PSU is on the floor.

No VHS cassettes in my house smiling smiley

Simon Khoury

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login