Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

So, I got a Kossel Mini 3D delta, with a Mega 2650 board. I have some issues.

Posted by HappyJack 
So, I got a Kossel Mini 3D delta, with a Mega 2650 board. I have some issues.
November 28, 2016 12:00AM
I've solved a decent amount of them myself by slamming my head against it (metaphorically speaking.) I'll include all of these problems and the solutions I've found so you guys have some knowledge of where I've been and what I've messed with.

So, where I'm at right now is I'm seeing data from the printer in Repetier (I mention in the posts below that it appears to be the bed temp, however looking at it more carefully it appears to be the extruder temp,) that being said I'm not able to send anything to the printer and actually get it to do anything. I have heard that sometimes a crappy USB cable can be the culprit, so I'll pick up one in the next day or two but to me that sounds more like a Hail Mary than anything. It doesn't make sense to me that I'd be getting any info from the board if I had a bad cable.

Additionally (and I'm not sure if this is a firmware issue or something else) I can only get the printer to turn on and let me scroll through the menu when plugged into my laptop. I should be able to print from an SD card, but it won't even turn on

-------------

The following are from a couple reddit posts I've made trying to figure this out, in chronological order.

Me
Got a FLsun printer, the Kossel mini delta style. The instructions weren't too bad to figure out although they were obviously run through an inferior translator. [i.imgur.com]
However, the firmware isn't right. When trying to push the firmware to it (it is setup with Marlin firmware as stock) my arduino software kept saying that it wouldn't verify. I downloaded the most current files from Marlin and could upload it but I am a bit wary to do that considering there might be differences I am not familiar with.
I'm familiar with MatLab however I haven't ever messed with anything in the arduino world. Despite that I have found a couple of glaring issues that look like something I can fix (uses fpos instead of filepos, stuff like that,) but most of it is over my head for now.
Any insights anyone might have on it? I would like to figure out some way to compare the two files side by side and verify they match like that, but I don't know of any way to do that other than physically checking each and every line.

Me
I decided that since I have the firmware that came with it, I might as well try the Marlin stuff. No go. For some reason Com3 isn't talking.
Arduino: 1.6.12 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"
Sketch uses 50,020 bytes (19%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253,952 bytes. Global variables use 2,709 bytes (33%) of dynamic memory, leaving 5,483 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8,192 bytes. avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM3": Access is denied.
avrdude: ser_drain(): read error: The handle is invalid.
avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail avrdude: stk500_send(): failed to send command to serial port avrdude: ser_recv(): read error: The handle is invalid.
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail avrdude: stk500_send(): failed to send command to serial port avrdude: ser_recv(): read error: The handle is invalid.
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout the selected serial port does not exist or your board is not connected avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail avrdude: stk500_send(): failed to send command to serial port avrdude: ser_recv(): read error: The handle is invalid.
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail avrdude: stk500_send(): failed to send command to serial port avrdude: ser_recv(): read error: The handle is invalid.
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer
This report would have more information with "Show verbose output during compilation" option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Me
Changed it from Com3 to Com2, seems to be uploading now

Me
I was able to upload the firmware. I cannot seem to upload any sort of gcode or whatnot to actually get it to do anything. Repetier is reporting a bed temp and that temp seems to correspond to the actual temp of it (maybe I'll put a heat gun on the bed and see if it responds.)
Right now I'm still at the stage where I'm trying to home everything and ensure that the various sections of the machine are talking to each other and are doing what they should. I've tried G28 and get nothing but "1 Command Waiting"
As I mentioned, I keep reading that a mis-matched baud rate is the culprit for that, but I have tried adjusting all that and gotten no results

Me
Ok, got it talking, got the original Marlin software files figured out (was searching for fpos in another file while I had changed it to filepos)
So, it's connected. It is logging temp of the build plate, and other info so I know it's talking. However I've now got "3 commands waiting"
Googling seems that changing the baud rate is the most common problem, however that hasn't done anything for me.

Me
So, I've had many issues with getting this thing setup, currently it appears that it isn't communicating with the Repetier software. It keeps giving me "X Commands Waiting."
I've tried adjusting the baud rate as that seems to be the main thought behind why it doesn't communicate, but that doesn't seem to do anything.
I posted another thread chronicling what I went through to get it to this point, but I haven't received any help from it, so I figured I'd ask this section.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2016 12:04AM by HappyJack.
Re: So, I got a Kossel Mini 3D delta, with a Mega 2650 board. I have some issues.
November 28, 2016 06:59AM
Okay so the issue with it not being able to run standalone is to do with how power is managed on the arduino/ramps board. Look up info about D1 and D2 diodes, these need to be present (and the right way around) though I can't remember which way offhand - a lot of ramps boards have them correctly placed when purchased, but there is huge variability. Without them the processor will only get power from USB, with obvious knock on effects.

The other problem is that LCD displays draw quite a lot of current from the arduino voltage regulator especially full graphic LCD's, the 4x20 type reprapdiscount smart controllers are usually manageable. Powering the LCD from some external power source makes this issue disappear (usb charger??)

As for the connection issues, personally I've always found repetier host to be harder to setup than pronterface, which just needs a serial port number and a baud rate and you're on.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
Re: So, I got a Kossel Mini 3D delta, with a Mega 2650 board. I have some issues.
November 28, 2016 01:17PM
I've never messed with an arduino board, and have some experience with circuits but not necessarily circuit boards. Can you help point me in the right direction of the diodes? Googling for "D1 D2 diodes" gets me everything from sales to homework questions on Chegg.com
I'm wandering through the links that pulled up with it, but I want to make sure I get the right info

The external power source is a Chinese version of one of these [www.dx.com] with the cables hooked up thusly [i.imgur.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2016 01:18PM by HappyJack.
November 28, 2016 01:47PM
Okay so your power supply is okay, but these chinese LCD supplies tend to exaggerate their power rating, so a 250w supply probably isn't going to kick out more than 200w. Which might be pushing it for 4 motors, a hot end heater and a heated bed.

However the issue here might be related to how you've wired the PSU. You've got both + and - connected to + terminals. Move the black wire over 1 terminal post to the left.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2016 01:48PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
November 28, 2016 01:53PM
God Fraggit.

Was searching online for more info. The pics of the board I saw online didn't look like the board I have, so searching for a ___ing model number on this board I eventually find that it's a MKS Mini B- V1.0
Should have learned not to trust the literature of this frigging thing.

So, I pushed the firmware through Arduino with the setting that it was a Mega2650 board. Considering that it isn't a Mega but is a MKS Mini, could that cause any issues?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2016 02:10PM by HappyJack.
November 28, 2016 02:28PM
DjDemonD
Okay so your power supply is okay, but these chinese LCD supplies tend to exaggerate their power rating, so a 250w supply probably isn't going to kick out more than 200w. Which might be pushing it for 4 motors, a hot end heater and a heated bed.

However the issue here might be related to how you've wired the PSU. You've got both + and - connected to + terminals. Move the black wire over 1 terminal post to the left.

I'll give it a shot. Thanks.
November 28, 2016 02:33PM
Now that gives a solid result. The LCD board is much much brighter. Time to try repetier

Aaaaaaaand Yup. Now it's homing

Awesome, time to actually try something and find out what else is f'd up with this thing

Thank you DjD, I appreciate the help
November 28, 2016 02:48PM
No worries it was just a few minutes ago I was trying to figure out my first printer. Enjoy.When it prints something you will be very happy.

Simon Khoury

November 28, 2016 07:03PM
So, I have it dialed in. Have the home and end stops setup. Tried to print something and now it doesn't want to extrude anything. Previously when the bed wasn't dialed in it didn't have any problem extruding anything while attempting to print.

I have the filament removed, and have no problem manually extruding anything, but when everything is plugged in it's being a PITA. Any thoughts on that?
November 29, 2016 03:34AM
Insufficient power would be my guess. If the hotend won't heat with the heatbed bed on you need a beefier psu.

Simon Khoury

November 29, 2016 10:43AM
I've tried it with the bed on and off
November 29, 2016 10:50AM
How have you tuned your stepper motor currents?

When it is not extruding, does the idler wheel turn? Is there a clicking from the extruder? If you've been trying to extrude for a while is there a divot ground into the filament by the drive gear/hobbed bolt?

Are you sure the hot end is hot enough - have you measured the temperature of your heater block externally? and If so how?

Simon Khoury

November 29, 2016 11:01AM
I don't think that I have yet. Going with the stock settings for now.

Extruder wheel doesn't turn at all. No divots, can kill the print and manually extrude filament just fine provided I also manually turn the hot end back on.

Hot end should be hot enough. I'll zap it with a temp gun later, but I have tried removing the tension from the extruder and putting steady pressure on the filament by hand and have gotten a first layer that is recognizable as a print.

When I get home from class I can take some screenshots of my current settings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2016 11:02AM by HappyJack.
November 29, 2016 11:21AM
Motor currents need to be set, there isn't really a default setting as every different model of motor will potentially need a different current. Try to aim for enough to get it moving, but below the level at which the motor or driver gets hot. Always power off before detaching a motor connector from a driver, or you can destroy the driver.

Simon Khoury

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login