Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What power supply?

Posted by Rockingdodge 
What power supply?
November 22, 2016 07:19AM
I'm building RichRPs 3dr but 1 mtr high with a kossel 220mm heat bed with wantai 0.9 deg steppers and a Rumba control board.
I have various atx psu's floating about that I can use up to 640 watts.
What kind of power will I need and would it be worth going 24 volts with an ssr for the heatbed or will the 12v heat it up in a couple of mins?
I'm looking at using abs as well as some of the exotics and pla, but mainly pla.
Re: What power supply?
November 22, 2016 03:14PM
If you want to get good speeds with 0.9deg motors on a delta, you will need to use 24V. You will also need 32-bit electronics to achieve a sufficient step rate.

See [duet3d.com], [duet3d.com] and [duet3d.com] for guidance. Those pages were written for the Duet series, so if using another control board you will need to substitute the appropriate bed heater current rating.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
November 22, 2016 05:45PM
So, ignoring the Duet board for the mo, if I have a possible 5 steppers at 2.4 amps, up to 3x40 watt cartridge heaters or whatever the 24v equivalent is and a kossel 220mm 12 volt alu heat bed running on 24 volts, would a 350 watt 24v psu be sufficent?

Sorry for these questions but I'm more nuts and bolts than working out power requirements.
November 22, 2016 05:56PM
The 3rd page that I linked to tells you how to work it out.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login