Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Large Kossel all metal delta build log

Posted by DjDemonD 
Re: Large Kossel all metal delta build log
January 18, 2017 07:41AM
No I bought about 20m from a German or Dutch ebay seller advertised as pu/kevlar but they were neoprene/fibre. Not too pricey and decent belts but not what was advertised, I suspect he/she doesn't know the difference. I'm using them now. Maybe from Gates direct?

Piezo hotend z-probe module coming soon!!!
DemonDeltaMicro - Micro Delta Printer [www.thingiverse.com]
Things I've made/remixed.
January 28, 2017 04:33PM
Now using piezo z-probe sensor [www.thingiverse.com]
Beta version now released. Looking to get some feedback on it from as many people as possible.

February 05, 2017 02:31PM
love you review
do you have 3d print to see the quality and the accuracy
February 05, 2017 02:32PM
What specifically of the piezo sensor?

February 06, 2017 11:56AM
yes to see the difference of accuracy between ir sensor vs new one
February 06, 2017 12:05PM
Reasonable request but it isn't the best way to measure this. I was getting calibration deviation with the IR sensor of 0.05 and now I'm getting 0.02 with the piezo sensor. The real difference in print quality between these two levels of calibration is very small. You might notice the difference in terms of ability to print a good first layer at the extremities or the dimensions of objects printed near the extremities but print a cube or a marvin in the centre and you aren't going to see any difference at all.

The real reason for doing this is to use the nozzle as a probe for all the good reasons I have listed here/elsewhere: its independent of the surface being probed, its got no offset, effector tilt has no bearing on probing (but will still affect objects at the extremities where tilt is greatest), and its very sensitive.

The quest for a perfect z probe is ongoing and whilst this is not the perfect z-probe its closer IMO than any that have come before it. As has been pointed out, if the bed were metal, you could just send a 5v signal through the nozzle to the bed. That would be perfect, but the bed is usually covered in some sort of polymer like PEI, printbite etc.. or glue/hairpsray/3dlac which would render it non-conductive or poorly conductive.

If you have seen Thomas Sandladerer's review/Q&A on the Ultimaker 3 their new solution is to have sprung glass build plate, under neath it some sort of sensor which detects the glass being pushed down by the nozzle. Until full details of how this is done are available I wont know if the piezo approach is better or their new method is the best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2017 12:08PM by DjDemonD.

February 06, 2017 12:47PM
thanks for you reply it s very instructive
February 08, 2017 04:19AM
Update: Changed the flying extruder to a lighter and smarter bracket, thicker elastic. Have added these parts to thingiverse [www.thingiverse.com].
Tried RC car shock absorbers but unlike Nebbians shock design they are meant to be compressed not extended, so next step, make some like Nebbians.

February 08, 2017 12:51PM
i really don t like flying extruder
it break the great look of delta printers
February 08, 2017 01:29PM
Fair enough, you could try a cable driven extruder, or use bowden but I've been down that route a few times and was thoroughly unsatisfied with time every time.

February 18, 2017 05:56PM
What did you not like about cable driven extruders? I've been considering one for a while so would be good to hear your thoughts on them
February 19, 2017 12:34AM
I love cable driven extruders, I have a flex3drive and I have been very happy with it, and I've got a Nimble on order and looking forward to trying that too.

Its Bowden extruders I don't like. I've softened my position on them lately as I realised I never really gave them a chance, and didn't tune them really well. Things like pressure advance in the firmware do make bowdens less bad.

But to sum it up:
-long tubes are exponentially worse than short ones
-friction is always more than you want
-the filament can't fit precisely in the bowden tube without too much friction
-the filament bends in the tube
-the filament depending on material stretches and compresses in the tube

So if there was a zero friction bowden tube, exactly 0.01mm larger than the filament, and the filament were not elastic then they would work perfectly.

Sorry got my rant on.

March 03, 2017 11:59PM
Also now using these carriages made by Dougal1957.

March 05, 2017 08:01AM
How are you getting on with the Carriages Simon I have ordered a load of stuff to build a completely new Delta this one will use 9mm wide belt as well
March 05, 2017 08:04AM
Hi Doug. Fine, they are very nice. If I am honest they haven't changed anything, it calibrates and prints the same as before. But coupled with eventually a metal effector (be keen to hear how you get on with your nylon one), they would make a difference. I like the rod spacing it looks right on a machine this size.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login