Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

E3D Chimera or Cyclops for a delta?

Posted by o_lampe 
E3D Chimera or Cyclops for a delta?
August 08, 2016 03:46AM
Both hotends have their pros and cons, The Cyclops would be easier to handle when the effector tilts, but it is a challenge to print with it.

The chimera would allow different temperatures for print and support filament, but my bad experience with dual nozzles ( even on my Prusa ) made me cautious.

Pest vs. Cholera, which one to choose?
-Olaf
Re: E3D Chimera or Cyclops for a delta?
August 08, 2016 09:02AM
I been thinking off this for few months and now with latest marlin having mixing controls, "just cant hold back eye popping smiley" my choice is Cyclops mainly because of the single nozzle down side as O_lampe points out, no different filament unless they share a common temperature,
just want multi colour prints as easy as possible and I think the cyclops can do that paired up with repilca titan and a busheng 17hd34008 selling on ebay "early test seems like they a good match".
August 08, 2016 09:53AM
One thing I've seen, with a Cylcops, you have to purge a lot of material when you change colors. This means you need some way to do it, and wipe the nozzle, before resuming with the new color. It would add complications and reduce your print area to support a "purge area" either directly on the bed or in some floating purge bucket.

With the Chimera, assuming you have no leakage, you wouldn't need to do this purge to change colors, but the separate nozzles do limit your print area by 18mm which is the distance between both nozzles.

However, with the cylcops, its possible you can mix colors.

I went with the Chimera, primarily because I didn't see a clean way to handle the color change purge/wipe easily.
August 08, 2016 11:25AM
I've glanced over the latest marlin their added features to purge,, but depending on the sizer of the print mite just be possible to purge colours in the infill with manual mixing ,, am thinking
August 09, 2016 02:02AM
I've printed with dual head and Cura has some support for it. There is a purge tower and a wipe-wall around the actual part that makes dual color prints easy.
But on my Prusa the second nozzle always scratched along the fresh tracks, ripping the 1st layer off the bed.
I've designed a dual extruder holder with adjustable height, just like the chimera has, but it was a PITA to have both nozzles do a good job on 1st layer.

We should have an effector design that purposely tilts the effector to lower the nozzle in duty and lift the other.

Like putting the chimera on a servodriven seesaw inside the effector...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2016 02:07AM by o_lampe.
August 09, 2016 03:00AM
We should have an effector design that purposely tilts the effector to lower the nozzle in duty and lift the other.

something like this [www.youtube.com] ,, seen this done on a delta but i cant find the reference and vid to it at the mo
August 10, 2016 02:55AM
The tilt angle should be much smaller especially when it's made for the E3d chimera where the nozzles are parallel. I like the "anti_ooze nozzle parking".
August 11, 2016 01:39PM
The Cyclops is a real bitch. I tried to manually extrude some filament, but the long melting zone really needs some extruder power.
To adapt it to 24V, I had to take two 20mm/12V heater elements in series, but they are to long.
I'm afraid a single 20mm 24V/40W won't make it?

I also tried to figure out the tool definition lines for RRF:

M563 P0 D0 H1
M563 P1 D1 H1

should work?!
August 11, 2016 03:05PM
How about a Diamond? People are claiming good results with it and RepRapFirmware. It even does mixing, although the mixing is not very thorough according to reports.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 12, 2016 10:38AM
I can mix colors with the Cyclops too, but they look like toothpaste. Does the diamond produce better results?

BTW: which slicer can generate G1 X20 E20:10 commands? I mixed colors using M567 & M568 command.
August 12, 2016 12:08PM
o_lampe
I can mix colors with the Cyclops too, but they look like toothpaste. Does the diamond produce better results?

BTW: which slicer can generate G1 X20 E20:10 commands? I mixed colors using M567 & M568 command.

I wasn't aware that the Cyclops could mix colours. According to the reports I have seen, the Diamond extrudes rather like toothpaste too. See for example [forums.reprap.org].

I don't know of any slicer that can generate G1 commands with multiple E values.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login