Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

kossel mini firmware/calibration issue 'major issue with jog'

Posted by nwalker78 
kossel mini firmware/calibration issue 'major issue with jog'
July 09, 2016 08:52AM
Hi,

I recently built a mini kossel purchased from eBay as seen here Kossel mini item.

I found the build process pretty straight forward the only problems encountered were:
  • The arduino was either defective or a crap clone uploading firmware would abort before completion and it would only detect as an uno not a 2560.
    w
  • The kit did not come with any firmware

After replacing the arduino and locating and installing the firmware all seemed to go fine until i hooked up the printer to the Pc using pronterface and simply3d.

when trying to configure/fine tune this printer with above stated software when using the jog feature to move the axis up/down 10mm all motors start but dont arop unless the emergancy stop buttom in software is hit or printer is powered down.

can anybody give any pointers towards what may be the cause of this.

regards

nw
Re: kossel mini firmware/calibration issue 'major issue with jog'
July 09, 2016 09:10AM
It sounds like the steps/mm configured in the firmware is much higher than your actual steps/mm. This could be a firmware configuration issue, or it could mean that the microstepping jumpers are missing from your electronics board.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 09, 2016 05:35PM
thanks for the advice, to be on the safe side i better re-check the whole config setup.

not sure if this is what your link to calibration is for if it is i apologize. Ive seen mention of sites/apps 'for dummies' that either tell you the numbers after inputting certain values like tower hights, diagonal rod length etc to manually config it or config script generators that do the same thing automatically. but the links were dead. do you know of any such apps or sites that can help with this?

on a side note Ive just looked at your Panel Due and Mini IR height sensor products are either compatible with the arduino 2560/ramps 1.4 using marlin firmware?
July 09, 2016 06:08PM
The delta calibration calculator that I link to may help you to get a flat printing plane when you have the basic motion of the printer working properly

The steps/mm you configure in the firmware should usually be either 80 or 100 depending on whether your printer has 20 or 16 tooth pulleys.

If you try to jog the motors by 1mm, how far do they move?

My IR sensor works well with Arduino/RAMPS. But for PanelDue, Marlin firmware doesn't include the support it needs.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 09, 2016 07:19PM
thanks again, in regards to the jog it does the same thing, jogging 1,10,100mm sends it nose diving into the build plate. i will check the steps thing in morning. whilst im doing that can you recommend any other settings offsets etc to check and a point of reference so i know the values are correct for my type of printer and its size.

apologies for the dumb questions.
July 14, 2016 10:13AM
No dumb questions here :-)

Check out this comprehensive commissioning guide:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zubaHZcnuIWxRmRPNMKKIdb0FsUn6fhR_ywPZu8Y6QY/pub
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login