Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

dc42s ir sensor and other Qs

Posted by forest 
dc42s ir sensor and other Qs
June 28, 2016 05:14AM
hi long time lurker here, there is so much good info here ive not ever needed to post, so thanks for thatsmileys with beer
my printer is a mini kossel with duet 0.6 and dc42s ir sensor
ok i love this bit of kit . what im after knowing is,
on mine when it probes points it does not always show the "sensors" 465ish trigger point number and that number can swing large amounts between probes points, is that ok? my over all average deviation is 0.04 is that ok? im getting cracking prints from this machine im very pleased to say!
my first printer was a 3dr and it never printed great all those plastic parts needing to be square was tough and i think that was a problem, even after a rebuild it got better but never right.

i tried those white steel core gt2 belts first on the mini, thinking "strong with steel core" bound to be better lol !
but they were very noisy indeed (once i use rubber the diff was a considerable) and two belts broke the wire and stretched (took me ages to find it, fun was had trying to work that one out haha ) and i didnt think they were tight as they looked baggy , im a retired land rover mechanic and 1/4 trained machine shop engineer perhaps im used to bigger belts!

one last question please im building another mini kossel for a friend im wondering what metal vertexes i should use? the 25k or the 9 single set or the 6piece set i can see there could be pluses from all but would like to hear from guys that have used them

ill add a few pics of my pride and joy after i take some tomorrow for your perusal, there still some reprinting to be done as the 3dr was not printing great and a few bits to finish but what a great bit of kit it is!

dc42s blog and a few bits of info from here,there and some help from doug (steering me in the right direction) setting up the duet was a breeze once i understood, after adding the tplink nano router the web interface is amazing, what stellar work! i cant wait to try a duet wifi

ok ive gone on enough its nice to be finally posting and damn good to meet you all!

one other thing what is your opinion on using self amalgamating silicon tape to insulate the heater block? it will go to 265c ive used the cotton pad that is available but its a bit messy as i added it after the hot end was built ive now seen silicon covers coming to the market so this tape from maplins seems idea what do you think?

thanks guys
Re: dc42s ir sensor and other Qs
June 28, 2016 09:38AM
Hi forest,

The ~465 probe reading is produced when the sensor is close to trigger height but not quite there. The reading changes to ~535 when trigger height is reached, and the trigger threshold in the G31 command should be 500. The web interface is typically updated 4 times a second, so in normal probing you may not see the 465 reading because t doesn't necessarily last long enough.

0.04mm deviation is quite respectable. You may be able to reduce it, the key is to make sure that the effector doesn't tilt as it moves in the XY plane. I have a bulls eye spirit level on top of the effector of my delta to help me achieve this.

My delta uses the Robotdigg 2020 metal corners. I am happy with them, but they are not cheap. I haven't tried the 25K corners.

HTH David

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 28, 2016 11:27AM
My 2 Cents Forest are

Depending on size of printer?

I would say upto say 500 horizontal's and 1000 verticals then the Robotdigg corners are the easiest option but as Dave says they are not the Cheapest around (Robltdigg also do a set of Alloy Carriages and an Alloy Effector to match them) I think the Corners are around $55 dollars a set plus the cost of some bearing for one to suit 20x20 extrusions and about $80 for ones that take 20x40 extrusion for the Vertical's (The latter is what Fletch has used)

the 25K brackets are quite fiddly to assemble but are better suited if you want to go large or have the vertical in a bigger width My new build is using them with 750 mm horizontals in 20x20 and 40 x 40 verticals at 1500 high and the 25 K are definately better for something that sort of size they are $60 plus $25 carriage for a set of 12.

Doug
July 03, 2016 06:36AM
thanks for replying guys . ok that makes my sensors numbers ok then it was worrying me a bit . i think i do have effector tilt as my first layer is not even to the right of z tower , ive looked at the bulls eye levels, is there one you recommend david? there is a lot to chose from on ebay ,what size are u using?

doug that a monster you are building there ,i look forward to seeing the pics ,

ill get to robodig corners i think cos as you say they have matching carriages etc im using a metal effector from banggood on mine and like it .
once im back home ill add those pics

cheers
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login