Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Losing steps, cant figure out why ( delta )

Posted by Dawgon 
Losing steps, cant figure out why ( delta )
June 15, 2016 06:48AM
Hi there!
So I built my own delta printer, spent alot of time calibrating it and switched from marlin to repetier. Bed leveling is better for repetier I guess, however with repetier I got some new problems.
I am losing steps, I noticed some weird behaviour in the last time. First I noticed clicking noises some time after homing. Everything stood still, but the pinions on the motor shafts started shaking. Not much, just a little, back and forth. If I try to move the effector down while the pinions are shaking ( happens to every motor ), I will loose steps, every time. So I have to rehome, M84, rehome and eventually move down.

Also, if I try to print something, I will lose steps while moving down / up. Like 2 out of 3 times. I also noticed weird behaviour in the down movement, if I start a print and the effector moves down to the bed, it wont do that in one rush. It will move down a little, stop, move down a little, stop, .. It will wo that 3 times for the first ~ 10 cm and then it will go down completely. It's not stopping abrupt, it's rather smooth.

So what I think is really weird is that it wont happen with every software. I can't print with repetier host. But if I slice with repetierhost and cura, I can print the file with pronterface. I can't print with simplify3d. Printing over SD Card kinda works. So is it because of speed / acceleration settings?

EEPROM settings:

Max Feedrate: 500.000 mm/s
Segments for travel: 70
Segments for printing: 200
Acceleration: 2000 mm/s^2
Travel Acceleration: 3000 mm/s^2

Repetier host printer settings:

Travelspeed: 1000 mm/min
Z-Axis speed: 1000 mm/min

Repetier host cura engine settings:

Printspeed: 47 mm/s
Travelspeed: 55 mm/s

I also tried very low accelerations, same happened. Using Nema 17 stepper motors 84oz.in 2Amps. A4988 polulu on MEGA2560. Upped the Vref to 0.56V. My belts are tight, bearings moving over the rods smooth. I can turn the motor pinion ( GT2, 20 tooth ) while current is flowing through the motor and its standing still, but it's not easy. So simplify3d wont work at all, although my speed settings are even less:

Default printing speed: 20 mm/s
XYZ-Axis movement speed: 30 mm/s

First I thought it would happen because of wrong frequency / delay settings in repetier, but it kinda works if I start the print with pronterface. So, i dont know.
Settings I am talking about:

#define RAMP_ACCELERATION 1

#define STEPPER_HIGH_DELAY 0

#define DIRECTION_DELAY 0

#define STEP_DOUBLER_FREQUENCY 15000

#define ALLOW_QUADSTEPPING 1

#define DOUBLE_STEP_DELAY 5 // time in microseconds

#define MAX_ACCELERATION_UNITS_PER_SQ_SECOND_X 2000
#define MAX_ACCELERATION_UNITS_PER_SQ_SECOND_Y 2000
#define MAX_ACCELERATION_UNITS_PER_SQ_SECOND_Z 2000

#define MAX_TRAVEL_ACCELERATION_UNITS_PER_SQ_SECOND_X 3000
#define MAX_TRAVEL_ACCELERATION_UNITS_PER_SQ_SECOND_Y 3000
#define MAX_TRAVEL_ACCELERATION_UNITS_PER_SQ_SECOND_Z 3000

I really hope someone can find the problem. I'd love to print with s3d. Thank you so much.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login