Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stop Traxxas ends hitting effector/carriages?

Posted by MightyMouth 
Stop Traxxas ends hitting effector/carriages?
April 28, 2016 12:42PM
As the title says, when I am calibrating my Kossel my traxxas ends are hitting either the effector or the carriages briefly while travelling between probe points at the outer edge of the bed. Can I change a setting in the config to prevent this? Reduce the bed radius maybe?
Re: Stop Traxxas ends hitting effector/carriages?
April 29, 2016 03:29AM
Ok so I think I can change the Bed.g file to probe at 145 rather than 150 using dc42's bed.g file generator but I suspect I also need to change the bed radius in the Config.g file. I don't mind losing 10mm of print radius if it stops the arms hitting as I won't be printing that big any time soon and hopefully once I upgrade to ball and socket arms the issue will be gone.

Can anyone confirm the above is correct?
April 29, 2016 08:39AM
MightyMouth
Ok so I think I can change the Bed.g file to probe at 145 rather than 150 using dc42's bed.g file generator but I suspect I also need to change the bed radius in the Config.g file. I don't mind losing 10mm of print radius if it stops the arms hitting as I won't be printing that big any time soon and hopefully once I upgrade to ball and socket arms the issue will be gone.

Can anyone confirm the above is correct?

That sounds correct. However, the Traxxas 5347 joints have a wide angle of movement (wider than the Igus joints that I now use), so I am wondering whether something else is wrong with your geometry. Perhaps the arms are too short?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 29, 2016 09:03AM
I will measure them when I get home.
April 29, 2016 09:21AM
The important thing is the angle of the arms to the horizontal when the nozzle is at the maximum print radius and opposite one of the towers. It should be no less than about 20 degrees.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

April 29, 2016 12:28PM
As near as I can tell using a piece of paper on its side on the bed and marking the angle of the arms then using a protractor they are very nearly exactly 20 degrees when opposite the towers. The arms are 350mm at the centre of the traxxas joints

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2016 12:29PM by MightyMouth.
April 29, 2016 03:10PM
How long are the horizontal extrusions?

April 29, 2016 04:35PM
They are 355mm on the Robotdigg metal corners.
April 29, 2016 04:58PM
So you have essentially the same geometry as I do. I didn't have problems with the Traxxas joints fouling the carriages or the effector, so I am wondering what is different about your build. Anyway, reducing the print radius a little should avoid the problem. If you ever re-make the rods, I suggest slightly longer ones next time.

April 29, 2016 05:54PM
Well it is the T3P3 maxi kossel which I believe was based on your upgrades. I have reduced the radius to 145 which seems to have done the trick.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login